coyote pulled trap and stake took it all. ug. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

coyote pulled trap and stake took it all. ug.

well i'm jstu starting into the trapping scene. so jsut messing aroudn i set a small hole set. baited it with squirrel. my trap was a #4 duke, staked in with a 1" X 1" angle stake about 18" long. pulled the whole trap and stake out of the ground. what do you guys setup for yotes consist of. way i look at it i need to use a longer stake. and maybe a few extra swivles, and maybe a drag line.

Greed leads to stupidity, and stupidy leads to complete and total failure. ~G. Bish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Part of the Community

Re: coyote pulled trap and stake took it all. ug.

Use two stakes at different angles. You'll need to attach a double swivel to accommodate the two stakes.
How do you know it was a coyote?
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:21 PM

If you are going to use stakes I would use rebar stakes and use 2 for every trap and X them as you drive them. If you have the chance at catching a coyote I would use 18" or 24" and ALWAYS use 2 stakes. If you want to save yourself time, wieght and money just buy some chain stakes at www.minntrapprod.com I haven't used a rebar or steel stake in years. Simply no need for them after you use those chain stakes. I haven't had a single trap pulled out of the ground yet. To retrieve them I use a pick ax in a chain loop below all the swivels and lever the earth anchor out. It is tuff sometimes but not to bad. You just have to make sure you are pulling straight up as you lever them out. At $29 a dozen they are worth every penny !!!

Honesty is my only excuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:25 PM
The Man

It depends on what the ground is like where you are trapping too.......around here, there isn't a coyote out there that can pull out an 18" rebar stake....there is 6" of topsoil, then it is basically solid sandstone. They are pain to drive in, and pull.......but they hold solid....and I wouldn't be able to drive any of the cable stakes in....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 04:02 PM

Here are the stakes I use
http://www.minntrapprod.com/catalog/...oducts_id=4407

I have not have a problem driving these in anywhere I could drive a rebar stake. The driver I use is just a piece of 20" rebar stake ground down/ tappered on the bottom to allow it to fit into fox hollow super stake and a larger nut welded on the top where my 2 lb sledge makes contact. If I can't get these driven in I will wire off to a tree of use a drag. Either way I never have to remove the chain stake from my set up. Both ways are proven to work so there is no right or wrong, just what ever works best for you !

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

THANKS. JSTU AN ASSUMPTION IT WAS A YOTE. i found scat right aroudn the catch circle. it was about 1" dia. dark black and had bits of fur and bone in it. i though fox scat was smaller.

Greed leads to stupidity, and stupidy leads to complete and total failure. ~G. Bish
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Part of the Community

longbeard: those chain stakes look awesome!
i don't totally understand how you reuse them? do you have another cable attached to them to straighten out the earth anchor? please explain further. Thanks.

I've been using the X and rebar with no problems on fox. Only problem so far is inability to trap a yote.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 06:15 PM

doublecoyote, if you can get them outta the ground, they are 100% re-usable...

daytonboy, you used a WOODEN 1x1 for a trap stake???

i know back in the day wooden stakes where common on the fox line...i personally wouldnt use one even if yotes didnt exist...

definitely get yourself some kind of cable or chain stakes or rebar...

did you search for the critter??? with a #4 on its foot and a 18" 1x1 on the end of the chain, assuming it stayed on the chain, it very well could be hung up somewhere...

if your gunna stick with trapping, American made #3 straight link chain and atleast 3 crunchproof swivels are the norm..attached to a good trap on one end and a cross staked rebar or some sort of cable/chain stake...

i run Pogo anchors...i really like them...cheap..easy to make..effective..all my traps are beefed up to hold yotes..i much rather catch fox...but, reality is we have coyotes...her, i have more yotes than fox..at this point im pretty much a coyote trapper that might catch an occasional fox..

but if your gunna stick with canine trapping, get yourself the proper gear...you'll be glad you did..
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

[quote=mauser06]doublecoyote, if you can get them outta the ground, they are 100% re-usable...

daytonboy, you used a WOODEN 1x1 for a trap stake???

i know back in the day wooden stakes where common on the fox line...i personally wouldnt use one even if yotes didnt exist...

definitely get yourself some kind of cable or chain stakes or rebar...

There is nothing wrong with wooden stakes. That is all my brother and I used 20 years ago. Heck, if there wouldn't be all these new technologies with stakes to make it easier and faster I would have no problems using wooden stakes still today. As a matter of fact, I don't ever remember having a fox pull one out. And from the sounds of it he stated he used a piece of angle which i believe to be metal.

IGNORANCE IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR YOUR STUPIDITY!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed74
You use what you want and let others use what they want. Suggestions are recommended and most of the time appreciated but telling someone to get the proper gear is a little rude.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page