trappin coons - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

trappin coons

when would you guys say its too cold to trap coons?

HAA HAA HERE WE GOOO!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:15 AM

Re: trappin coons

Really depends....this time of year, you can almost always find coon down...starting to get into breeding season...I've treed them in good snow and a few degrees out this time of year and later...

That being said, before late jan, any cold spell or deep snow, I wouldn't expect to find em down....I draw the line at lows below freezing for running dogs...but you can still find them down..close to a den you can find where they came down for a quick snack or drink in the creek and right back up...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

thanks for the help!

HAA HAA HERE WE GOOO!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:53 AM

no problem...wish i could be more help...but theres really no hard fast rule to it...ive been running dogs long enough i am pretty good about tellin when they will be down...down enough for me to bother cuttin a dog loose or in this case, setting a trap...

when running a dog or trapping, i dont care about missing the one that snuck down for a quick drink..not likely to tree that one on the outside or get it in a trap anyways...earlier in the season, real cold spells or lows between 25-32 are borderline...but, if its 25-32 for more then a few days, they are likely to move a bit...especially if little or no snow..or if lows are in the teens a few days and it bumps to 25 or something, they will likely be movin good...

as a trapper though, those one or 2 decent nights may or may not be worth setting for..lota work to run a line just for a nite of mediocre coon trapping IMO..if i seen lows at 30+ all week, id consider setting and running a line for the week or whatever...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 11:42 AM

I caught big male last week in the cold but his fur was already going down hill
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 02:48 PM

ive heard of rubbed coon arleady...the last half dozen ive taken this week have all been beautiful...some a little stained..but, not rubbed..that is one thing about coon..once its cold, theres a good chance they can be rubbed..
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:29 PM
New Arrival

Is anyone trapping coon now. What bait to use. Do you trap ridges or stream bottoms. You read and read and watch videos and its mind boggling everything you read or see. Just wanted to know if anyone is trapping them now and how they are doing it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Regular Visitor

I've caught 9 coon the past 2 weeks. Been catching them in dog proof traps close to their denning sites. In my case, the walkway to an old abandoned farmhouse. They move a little just as long as the temp doesn't fall below 20 it seems. Just using a marshmallow on the trigger and a shot of fish oil.

They aren't rubbed yet here, but the house is a four bedroom 2 bath, so they got alot of room to move around. lol!

2013-2014 Season

Red fox:7
Grey fox:1
Coyote:1
Coon:25
Possum:1
Muskrat:3
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 04:57 PM
New Arrival

Thanks... like i said you read one thing saying trap the ridges and use jelly bore coon are running ridges now... then you read trap the stream bed they aren't frozen and are warmer than the ridges use fish oil... then you read coon are denning and aren't moving don't bother trapping.. i guess it boils down to where you are at and what works for you.. just wanted to know it anyone was catching any now.. Thanks again
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 05:34 PM

I know they moved here last night, there were 6 on my deer feeder in the yard at 9:00.

1A-2F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page