fox loop... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

fox loop...

Any suggestions on loop size/height on loops for red fox???

I had 8" loops between 8-9" and had a red fox walk down the path and make it through....hard as heck for it to goto either side....either went under it or through it...??

Any suggestions? I kept the same loop and lowered it an inch or so....its a regularly used trail...he'll be back....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: fox loop...

Mauser, I know the book says 6-8" diameter 6-8" off the ground for fox and 10-12" diameter 10-12" off the ground for coyote. I have mostly red fox but also a few coyote in my trapping area and I'd really like to catch one of the coyote.

I decided 9" diameter 9" off the ground would be a good compromise.

Since hanging cables about a week ago I've only caught three red fox but all were neck caught (as opposed to neck/shoulder in a too big loop).

Here's pics of the last two (last one from this morning):

Eh...wot?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

If just for fox I have better luck running 7" loop 8 up. For combo I run 9 and 9 and put something a coyote has to duck under. You'll get most fox by the neck but some by the hips

16/17 Goal-Totals
reds-20-10
grey-2-1
yotes-5-2
coon-12-9
bobcat-1
fisher-1-1
Otter-1
Beaver 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like the idea of putting something for coyote to duck under when running 9-9. Do you just bend a piece of goldenrod over or something similar to that?

Eh...wot?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like 9 and 9 as well, but I did miss a gray fox today with that loop. Newt Sterling told me personally to set 5 and 5 for Grays!
Lugnut, I picked up a tip to use those tiny, micro binder clips from Staples to hang snares on #9 wire and it's been working great. Another benefit is that you can pinch a few blades of grass or a goldenrod stem in the clip as well.
It helps to hide the lock and clip, but also allows you to place a "duck" stick/twig/stem over the top of the loop.
For the bottom of the loop I just fluff up the grass directly under the loop to act as a chin lift.
The great snaremen say there is no combination size for fox and coyote, but I'm trying my best to prove myself wrong.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

By the way Mauser, I used your idea of using a stick for a snare support. I ripped down some 1x material to about 1x3/4 and 18" tall. I drilled two 1/4" holes toward the top and looped #9 wire in one hole and out the other, leaving about a 6" stub for the support wire.
I make a pilot hole with my stake driver and then pound the stake into the hole. Extremely solid anchor and it makes the locks work so much slicker! I think that little Gray is in for it now. The support stick is weak enough that it should get knocked right over during a catch, and it gives them something other than the cable to chew on in the catch circle.
Thanks for the idea. I made up about 50 of them in 15 minutes yesterday.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Wow! Kinda odd responses! Now my head is sore from scratchin it! Lol. I've read Newts advice online...he likes small loops and says many guys run loops too low...bottom of the loop is key...if it hits them below the chin and you got a good loaded cable, its far too late...so long as your loop isn't crazy big...and you force them into the loop not around it...

The 2 cables the fox went through/past all have grass over them and to the sides.....

My thinkin is it was following my scent and nose to the ground....that's my best theory....

#17, you stole my idea for after this season! I was thinkin of doing something similar so they are pre made....grab a bucket full with cables and go...making my support stick in the field takes more time than making the set lol....my only worry about any kind of lumber would be it doesn't look natural like a stick....

I caught a coon today that tangled my stick bad...another wrap and it would been done....I thought maybe I drove it too deep...after I was done I easily pushed the stick right over...didn't get below freezing last nite so it wasn't frozen in...I alwaysmake sure they will do their job and support my loop but make sure they aren't permanently in....I know they can act as a kill pole if they don't break/fall etc....

I like it much better than the straight 9ga wire...too flimsy for my liking...I want my cable to slam shut when a critter hits it..no bouncy support..
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Regular Visitor

I've had luck going 7 inches up (ground to bottom of loop) and a 7 inch loop. Make a surfers "hang ten" sign with my hand for a measuring tool. From tip of my pinky to tip of my thumb is 7 inches (somebody showed me that trick I think, kinda handy). Although I did catch a fox that got a leg through the loop too and opened it back up and got away.

Everybody develops their own technique to loop size and height which is good. Thats how new techniques come about.

I like the idea of a support wire stick. Gonna have to try that one. Thanks

2013-2014 Season

Red fox:7
Grey fox:1
Coyote:1
Coon:25
Possum:1
Muskrat:3
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've been using the same support system this year except with a 5" piece of wood pounded about flush and a longer piece of #9. I think using anything stickin up higher is askin for trouble, especially in frozen ground IMO

16/17 Goal-Totals
reds-20-10
grey-2-1
yotes-5-2
coon-12-9
bobcat-1
fisher-1-1
Otter-1
Beaver 3
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Shrek, good info on measuring with fingers...I do it often....but, with the "law" I like to know I'm legal....I've lost a half dozen rulers last season....this year I took my dremel and cut slightly ring into my pogo driver at 6,7,8,9,10,11, and 12 inches....time saver for me...I always have my driver when making sets....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page