After the catch questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

After the catch questions

First of all, thanks to all the trappers here posting and providing so much great information.

There is alot of info on what to use, where to use it, lures, etc... but not too much on what happens after and what a new guy needs. Questions like what do you use of you do not have a trap shack, do you need a chest freezer, does every catch need to be fleshed or is selling green better.... Okay, so I have alot of questions LOL. How about a scenario based question.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Say you check your line and have a nice red fox, a gray fox, and a big coon. You intend to keep the gray and have it mounted or the pelt tanned, and the red fox and the coon you plan to sell. What happens next???? </span> (like skinning, freezing, fleshing or not, treating with salt, stretching the pelt, etc...)

Any and all answers are welcome and please as much detail as possible. I am trying to get as much figured out as possible before next year.

Thanks, Paul

We all make choices, some good, some bad, can you live up to yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:23 PM

Re: After the catch questions

if you are going to get it mounted freeze whole.

if you want to sell skin then freeze thaw before going to the fur buyer.

no treating with salt on furbearers.

flesh stretch and dry.

Life Member PA Trappers
NRA Life Member
NTA Life Member
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:12 PM
The Man

I don't know that I necessarily agree with that, nor do I think there is a single answer.

Freezing an animal whole takes up a lot of space and you risk freezer burn, particularly on the ear tips paws and tail, which can lead to hair falling out when the mount is done.

I'd suggest if you want an animal mounted, and aren't comfortable skinning it yourself, find a taxidermist to do the work and get it to them ASAP.

As for putting up fur to sell, you can take it to the fur buyer immediately and sell it "in the round", skin it and take the "green" hide to the fur buyer, skin it, freeze it and then once you have a bunch of fur or are done for the year, take the furs out, thaw them and take them to the fur buyer, or, skin it (freeze it or not), flesh it, stretch and dry it before taking it to the buyer. The more work you do, (provided it's done properly) the more $ in your pocket, the less you do, the less you'll get paid.

You have a long time before next season. Start watching videos on putting up and prepping furs now and you'll be ready to start next year.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I don't know that I necessarily agree with that, nor do I think there is a single answer.

Freezing an animal whole takes up a lot of space and you risk freezer burn, particularly on the ear tips paws and tail, which can lead to hair falling out when the mount is done.

I'd suggest if you want an animal mounted, and aren't comfortable skinning it yourself, find a taxidermist to do the work and get it to them ASAP.
This is the truth..

It is time to manage avian predators!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

So "in the round" is the whole animal, "green" is when the animal is skinned but not fleshed, and "fleshed" is skined, fleshed, and stretched. Got it, thanks.

When you skin an animal and put the fur in the freezer, do you need to lay it flat or can you roll it up?

So what is the most popular way to sell fur?

I have been watching vidoes on YouTube, there is an endless supply of info there. But after watching its hard to figue out which fleshing tool to get, or whch is the best knives to skin with. Not to mention I don't have a dedicated shack or shed to do this in. (ofcourse if all goes well I may have to build one in a couple years)

Again, thanks for the info, keep it coming!!!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

TTT

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have not got around to building my fur shed yet so I do all mine in my basement. Wife will not let me do any more mink in the house and never tried doing a skunk in the house. She knows when I get those pelts out of the freezer to put up as you can really smell the skunk, also if you would collect the essence put in a glass jar and don't keep it in the house as it smells like you just skun it in the house.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsagA29
So "in the round" is the whole animal, "green" is when the animal is skinned but not fleshed, and "fleshed" is skined, fleshed, and stretched. Got it, thanks.
More like "put up" is skinned, fleshed and stretched, but yeah, you've more or less got it.

Quote:
When you skin an animal and put the fur in the freezer, do you need to lay it flat or can you roll it up?
You can do it either way, just make sure the skin-side is in and the fur is out. If it's going to be in the freezer for quite a while, I'd roll it up myself.

Quote:
So what is the most popular way to sell fur?
One way is just as popular as the other. It all depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

Quote:
I have been watching vidoes on YouTube, there is an endless supply of info there. But after watching its hard to figue out which fleshing tool to get, or whch is the best knives to skin with. Not to mention I don't have a dedicated shack or shed to do this in. (ofcourse if all goes well I may have to build one in a couple years)
Everyone has their preferences. I have a Necker 600 fleshing knife that I really like, others have the Blue English system and really like it. There are really cheap tools and really expensive tools. I'd shy away from the really cheap ones simply because they make a somewhat daunting task more difficult and frustrating. It's not so bad once you get the hang of it, but starting out, it's a bit of a pain.

As for skinning knives, a fillet knife will work, as will just about any non-serrated knife. I don't have any "special knife" for skinning. I've used everything from exacto knives, to fillet knives, any small thin bladed knife I had laying around, pocket knives, my Havalon Piranta (which is more or less a scalpel), etc. And as far as dedicated shacks, haha, you're going to find way more people doing this stuff in the basement, garage, backyard or even dorm room than you're going to find guys with dedicated shacks. In other words, you can make due with what you've got.

Good luck!

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Adam thanks for the reply and the detailed info.

So if I am lucky and trap a few next year and I decide to put up the fur, is there a temperture range that is ideal for the fur?

And I have seen on a few videos that trappers spray the animial with flea/bug killer and put the animal in a bag to kill the bugs. Is this a standard practice?

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 06:22 PM
The Man

As long as it's not too cold or too hot, not really. You really don't want big fluctuations in temp either. I hang everything in my basement and it's probably only in the low 60s there and it's fine. That's one the skin is fleshed and stretched though. Skin your catches ASAP and get them chilled or frozen until you're ready to "put them up" otherwise the hide can spoil and the hair will slip, making it worthless.

Air flow is key too. A small box or oscillating fan blowing on your drying furs will help them dry much quicker. Once they're dry, just keep them at way. They can be stored in a cooler place, just avoid any moisture.

As for the flea / bug killer being standard practice, for me, no. I've never done it. Not necessarily a bad idea but would be costly and fleas / ticks will abandon their "host" once it's dead anyways. If the animal is REALLY infested, that's when I can see spraying it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page