A lot of work to do. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

A lot of work to do.

I bought some traps this year and the second night, I had 9 of my 11 trap tripped, but nothing. I did some research and saw that my pans were to high and that I might have had them turned the wrong way. did some adjustments, thought I was good, but today in the snow, several track around my sets, pulled the traps and saw the pans pushed down but not trip. Adjusted a little more and move them. I'll have to adjust the dogs in the off season and get things all set for next year. I don't know if I am more exicited about catching something or just the fun of fine tuning everything to get it just right.

Every action has a reaction, it is what we do with the reaction that makes our action successful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 PM

Re: A lot of work to do.

Consider night latching them while your tuning!

Trap prep is a fair bit of work....as well as putting sets in....I find it enjoyable though....as most trappers must or we wouldn't do it lol
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like you bought some dukes..

It is time to manage avian predators!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Yes I did. Any wisdom to share, or am I on the right track?

Every action has a reaction, it is what we do with the reaction that makes our action successful.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 01:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

Dukes were the first traps I bought and caught my first fox and yote on but they aren't exactly ready to go outta the box. There's a fella on here that goes by longbeard that runs dukes and does more than just fine with them. He does do some work to them though. Maybe he'll chime in or post a pic of his but I believe he baseplates them, laminates the jaws, nightlatches the dog, adjusts the pan tension, (the whole works)... These are things you should look into. In no way are all these modifications necessary, but they sure will make the trap perform much better... For now it sounds like you need to bend the frame a bit so there isn't so much travel in the pan before the trap fires. This can also be done by nightlatching but filing the dog smooth (every duke i've held had a burr on the end of the dog) and bending the part of the frame that the dog attaches to out a little bit so you can get the trap to fire with a crisp trigger works too.. Hope this helps. Good luck..

I run Minnesota Brand traps. 450's and 550's. They are def pricier than the duke. But they're ready to go out of the box and they are MADE IN THE USA by American workers.. I'll pay the extra couple bucks and run less traps.. Dukes are out of korea I think...

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for you help. These were ebay specials,dyed and wax ready (not really) to go. Just wanted to get something out. I will be looking into the Minn's I am all for buying American. Thanks again.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i also use duke traps for there price there a great trap after some work. i use #2 and #3 i base plate them all and center swivel them with d rings. i also 4 coil them and night latch them all.i remove the stock chains and add 2.0 chain and put 3 swivels on there one at the trap one about 4 links in and one at the end i use either heavy duty or crunch proof swivels. it is alot of work to get them the way u want them but its fun workings on them. f&t has both base plate kits and 4 coil kits that work with duke traps. after its all said and done i save about 40$ a dozen instead of buying fully mod bridger traps. but like what was said working the traps is as mutch fun as setting them. just about any canine book should have pict of all mod that i said. funny thing u do all that work getting ur pan level first yote will reck it then youll have to replace the dog and start all over agen. good luck hope u have as mutch fun as i do getting them ready... ps youll need a welder to base plate them or some one that can weld them for ya. and save the old chains and swivels use them on smaller traps for coons and mink and so on.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 PM

Here are some pics of some 1.5's that my brother got and did up for me as a Christmas gift. These are tuned, boiled and waxed. Will not die them until the 2nd season in use.

Jaw laminations

Baseplate and D ring And a crush proff swivel

Night Latch

Night latch set

The whole rig. 2 swivels & MB Chain stakes

Sorry about the poor cell phone pics.

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:58 PM

Here you go broken arrow...

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Now THAT is a Duke 1.5 that will hold a coyote! Only thing missing is turning up or bubble tipping the jaws but the center swiveling should help with that potential problem.. Nice Traps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page