I couldnt take it anymore! Steel in the ground! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I couldnt take it anymore! Steel in the ground!

Ive trapped in the past but just havent had the time the last couple years. Well this year my brother is living with me and has done a fair amount. After watching him get a grey fox, then a yote (his first) on xmas day and then another yesterday, plus my dad has caught a few k9s, a fisher and a bobcat AND with my uncle (the forum sponsor) sending me daily catch pics ( yote 25 today), i finally broke and got my license and put 7 sets in tonight! Im super excited for tomorrow!

I put in 4 hay sets, 1 dirt hole / walk through, 1 flat set, and 1 "snowset" for lack of a better description. 3 of the sets are right on fresh tracks in the snow, 1 is on a deer trail that ive seen k9 tracks on this fall and the other 3 are in locations i scouted with my brother a week ago and there were fresh tracks there at the time.

Now the wait begins!

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 07:40 AM

Re: I couldnt take it anymore! Steel in the ground!

good luck!!!

i love the feeling of having traps set! its like opening day of buck season when your 12 EVERY nite! the anticipation is amazing...
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good luck Adam. I just put a few out myself.

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Administrator

keep us posted on how you make out.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Part of the Community

May I ask, what is so exciting about the prospect of trapping "k9s"?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 01:01 PM

Yes you may!

MANY MANY reasons, which others can add here. For starters....one only has to ask why we hunt/trap/fish for <u>ANYTHING</u>! Being outdoors. At a time of year when most are cooped up and on their couches getting fat.

Helping other game populations survive by reducing canine numbers is one BIG one for me.

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm with everything Banjo said. Plus, I'm on top of the food chain and I can.

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:07 PM
The Man

Quote:
Helping other game populations survive by reducing canine numbers is one BIG one for me.
Plus you can get some really beautiful furs.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:19 PM

Love the mornings again as well This is my second year of back in Trapping sinsce I first was married ! 20 years ago I think I put some half hearted sets in first couple years of the wife n I moving in together lol but last year my 5 year old little girl wanted to trap ? lol she found my stack of fur-fish-game magazine . she loves animals so was kinda suprised I been wanting to do it but now was the catalist to actually have a good reason and a enthuastic partner , of course my son wanted in , he actually stayed at home quite a bit last season with mamma lol but this year they bothe are so excited as am I to get to our sets
I let them help in everything and know its gonna be a few days till the sets airs out lol but we been getting some really nice animals !!!!! learing alot and I mean all of us and they really do love it . we have 12 duke # 3 - coils and did the C.R. class last year down around Lancaster , so we have a few up today we are gonna get as many good ones up as we can . wish I could get my pics up here just wont work w/my pc ? this morning we got a super nice red and the pics on my cell came out so cool kinda blue with all tha snow . there are some super good resources on here its so nice to see this kind of comrodery in the field . also dos and donts , lol wish we could get or figure out these coyotes out we have not cought any for like 3 weeks ? perhaps they think hay keeps taking their friends I have two sets of tracks here often am sure they live here ? but will have to see today , am hoping my tire tracks aint gonna keep them away . tight cables !
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Part of the Community

Dogs have virtually no impact on the survival of game species that is a fact. It is completely ridiculous to act as if you are making some positive impact on the deer herd or whatever by trapping a dog. I can understand if you caught a dog by accident, but to purposely try to trap a dog is completely wrong.
I recently lost my dog, and I suspect she was killed by a landowner/"hunter" who believes dogs are hurting the deer poplulation. I wish I had proof that thats what happened to her.. Its probably good though because it would get real ugly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page