educational day...for me and the yotes! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

educational day...for me and the yotes!

so, today, i got to my 2nd farm...i could see tracks way across the fields and knew they werent deer tracks..within 10yds of 2 sets so i figured i better get a closer look...sure enough, yote tracks...could tell they were gun shy and didnt go near the set but their tracks made me think they could smell the sets...

followed the tracks and like i figured, they came out of a brushy secluded field...2-3 different sets...more on that later..

so, hit a few other farms..nothing...1 last farm and i find 2-3 sets of yote tracks behind the barn...i look down the tree line to the corner where i have 2 sets...could see dirt where i had a set...hmm?

i go investigate...this is what i find.....

right set was a double dirt hole...left set was a scent post i turned into a single trap scent post..had smokey post and red urine on it..

(who says yotes wont dig?!? also can see it rolled in between the sets...)

yep...fired empty trap...got a lot more straw/hay in the jaws than i put on it..heavy wind, heavy rain, and 2" of snow must have put more hay on the trap..or the yote moved the hay around a bit before hitting the pan..no tellin..but i dont put much hay over my traps and the stuff i put over is MUCH finer than what was in the jaws...also took a dump 2" from the trap!!

so the tracks headed down the trail...fingers crossed that i had one in my last set down at the fork...

go check it...

nope! wouldnt commit..

he definitely thought about it though..look at that circle...was a dirt hole in the bottom of the transplanted stump and a skunky call lure on both uprights...

very bummed i educated a "pack" couldnt tell if it was 2 or 3 yotes...worst part is i educated them...wouldnt been so bad if the one didnt fire...the dirthole i couldnt tell why it didnt fire..was thawed ontop..but, could been frozen in the bed...2" of rain..any trap in a "wet" spot froze in..higher spots were fine...

so, i went back to the brushy field that the pack came through...i always figured that'd be a good place to hang cables but soooo many paths through it made it impossible to narrow down...i followed the tracks and got 4 cables hung on the main trail...

they are in for a surprise if they use it again...the way they marked the trail, i have a feeling they use it regularly..the crop fields where they went, i have 3 sets and lots of yote sign..(the sets they didnt work..) i know where they came from and where they went...they likely run that brushy field every time they make that loop...more snow coming tonite...hope to get a bunch of cables hung tomorrow and sunday...

with the yotes being educated to about every scent i own and 2(3) of my goto sets, i think cables are about the only way im gunna get them...all the tracks looked pretty dang big...if i didnt see turds, i woulda questioned if they werent domestics...

interesting one had a very dark urine and another had a very yellow urine...

educational day for me and the yotes....with any luck, i got a pack in cables in the morning! lol i think it'll probably be a few days or more till i see activity again..but never know...they might stick around a few more nites...

wonder if the one i caught was from the same pack...

renews my faith that my sets ARE on location...3 got worked...2 got sniffed from a distance and they were already smart to my sets and scents...and yesterdays yote was heading for 2 more of my sets...thats not bad at all..thats about half of my sets that got worked in 2 nites...

im addicted to cables now though...i popped them 4 in today and just laughed...my bucket was 30lbs lighter...took tons less time...freezing rain might kill the lock..deep snow will bury them...other than that, they are "weather proof" #17 had an idea of spraying glycol on the locks..i thought it was a goodun so i did...not sure it'll help or not..3-5" of snow and a little freezing rain possible between now and tomorrow...already 2" of snow on the ground...thats about enough of a mess to put any foot hold out of commission...my cables stand a much better chance of being effective tonite...

gunna focus hard on getting cables hung tomorrow and sunday before the melt on monday...

oh.....notice the one track dragging a leg??? im gunna take a guess and say that is the yote i hit the 2nd day of deer season...took a 308 165gr accubond to its front left shoulder...i seen it wed or thurs of the last week alive and well with a good sized wound right where i seen the bullet hit...i have NO idea how its alive...i really dont..i wanna catch it and find out..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: educational day...for me and the yotes!

Well you know you're on location!! lol.. The snow is so humbling....
As for the yote that got away, I shot one coming straight at me with a 223 a few years ago. Handloads that explode what they hit. I watched the thing roll and flip for 2 minutes then watched in amazement as it got up and ran UP a long steep hill dragging a leg.. Followed blood for 2-300 yards then it stopped.... Looked all morning... Never found it.. I still can't believe you can hit one with a 223 or 308 and they can get away but I can kill one dead with two swipes of my walking stick when it's in a trap...lol

It is time to manage avian predators!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:55 PM
The Man

i get stoked when i hear of snow, but like you guys said, it will humble you the first check.

i like it much more when trying to snag CR reds.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappin4reds2010
Well you know you're on location!! lol.. The snow is so humbling....
As for the yote that got away, I shot one coming straight at me with a 223 a few years ago. Handloads that explode what they hit. I watched the thing roll and flip for 2 minutes then watched in amazement as it got up and ran UP a long steep hill dragging a leg.. Followed blood for 2-300 yards then it stopped.... Looked all morning... Never found it.. I still can't believe you can hit one with a 223 or 308 and they can get away but I can kill one dead with two swipes of my walking stick when it's in a trap...lol

Nice to know I'm not the only guy that happened to. I shot one in Maine this year while hunting deer with my 6.5 swede and it is one of the most accurate rifles I own. It was only 50-60 yards away mousing totally oblivious to my presence and I put it on the front shoulder and squeezed. It did a huge hop straight up in the air, ran for 20-30 yards did a few circles and a couple more hops and took off for the swamp. Ruined my deer hunt for the remainder of the afternoon and evening and I never did find it.

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:04 AM

Kinda same thing happened to me as well actually was getting bummed lol thought they was hone? When I checked my best two sets looks like they had a party in between my sets! !!! Tons of big dog tracks! I can't figure them out?

They really that smart or is a it me? ?? Lol I going out in the morning will have more time to see what's up
to
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Is that your only encounter so far with the Smokey Post? I read about that June lure at least two years ago, but never picked any up. It seems like the cat's meow for a rub set.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeasy
Kinda same thing happened to me as well actually was getting bummed lol thought they was hone? When I checked my best two sets looks like they had a party in between my sets! !!! Tons of big dog tracks! I can't figure them out?

They really that smart or is a it me? ?? Lol I going out in the morning will have more time to see what's up
to
My dad called me all excited this morning because he caught a nice coyote on my homemade "Deer Gravy" bait. He said that set had been in the ground untouched for at least two weeks. He kind of lost faith in it I guess, but then suddenly it connects.
That coyote could have nosed around that set for a couple weeks before deciding to commit to it. Without snow, you just don't know.
I set a new farm at dusk last night. 4 of my 6 sets had a red fox walk right up to them and leave without committing.
Maybe tomorrow.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

snow is a GREAT teacher thats for sure....i wish i had more time in the day...i would have followed their tracks the entire day..a lot to learn just by tracks in the snow...

17, thats my only proof smokey post works...proof enough for me to keep using it!! not saying anything about Mark June..i LOVE his stuff and have great faith in it...but if youve smelled "liquid smoke" for cooking, thats smokey post..not saying thats whats in the bottle..not saying liquid smoke would or would not work just as well...but, it smells the same to my nose...

we got mroe snow than i thought we would..as of 0400, its still comin down hard...probably gunna have a good half foot or better tomorrow...probably gunna be an uneventful day for me...will check the sets..but, not gunna bother digging anything out..and wont be able to find tracks/trails to hang cables on...guess that'll be sunday and monday before it melts off...

this weather is just nuts..really is..ive never seen anything like it in my life...

like i said, i think it will help me cable critters...snow for a few days to find tracks/trails..set em..snow melts off and the critters never know i was there..no reason to change patterns or be on alert etc...

last year i tried walking down their trails, setting it and keep walking...this year, ive been setting from the side of the trail..lifting any brush i knock down so i dont create a new trail...though in the snow, your leaving a trail and marks no matter what...but knowing its gunna melt starting sunday, no big deal...todays sets got covered by snow within a few hours of me setting them..

going to stop at a farm tomorrow or sunday that'll be great cabling..should be no problem to secure permission...they have a field like the one i set today..and red fox are pretty plentiful down there...adds a little drive to my line...but, it'll be worth it i think..depending on action and sign, i might just take the first few catches and pull it..especially if the reds are rubbed bad...

like coon, im sure rubbing is kinda hit or miss depending on habitat, den condition etc...many guys play rubbing off on JUST mating..i think its a combination of just wear on the coat from the season..denning IMO is one of the biggest factors..my yote the other day..her hind end was rubbed pretty good..gaurd hairs all broken...but, her hind end and tail were both dirty..dry dirt...almost no doubt she rubbed from denning...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 02:25 PM

yeah I was bummed just coon n grinners ! thought the coyotes was gone but the other night we got like 1-2 inches , and was enought to tell me I was wrong and happy about that lol they had a ton of tracks in-between two nice sets , not sure what they was doing ? but at least I know they r still around lol got a sweet red this morning , that set stinks big time!!!!! did a good remake , so hope the coyotes check it out tonight .
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 PM
The Man

YOu guys need to shoot them with something bigger! LOL

.30-06 with a 168 gr Barnes TTSX. Never took a step. LOL
Shot him 2 years ago on an elk trip in Colorado.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPRLn...A9DMbVyOjp2YCP

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page