Finally caught my nemesis skunk! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Finally caught my nemesis skunk!

2 years ago I started getting pics of this skunk at my place that was all black, less a small white spot on the center of his head, looks like he is wearing a little beret! I only once called him in at night, just to have him stand right under the treestand I was in, I figured that was NOT where I wanted him to be when I shoot, in case he sprayed. He managed to leave without ever offering the shot I wanted in the thick mess.
Over the last few weeks, i've been getting trail cam pics of him and slowly began patterning him. I finally had 3 pics of him coming out the same path and decided a blind trap right on his path was the way to go, and it worked. Dispatched him this a.m., will let him "air out" and get him tonight, after which i will post pics. This one might call for a full mount.

Now, if I could just get this dang female yote that I have on cam whizzing in between SIX of my traps, I'd be really happy!

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:33 AM

Re: Finally caught my nemesis skunk!

Congrats...

Look forward to the pictures..

Good Luck w/ the whizzin yote....
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

thanks! I know it is only a skunk, but being my first year trapping and self taught, i'm somewhat pleased that I was able to pick a specific animal and catch that exact one. I've racked up some huge "trash animal" numbers this year already, but nothing impressive yet. Here is the pic of the yote and the red dots where traps are set. the camera is hanging on a fence post and there is a trap on each post beside it. She is toying with me, i have 48 pics of her walking in between them

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

One quick piece of advice:

You have photo evidence of a natural urine post. Put a very well blended trap right under her rear left paw and there is a very good chance you will catch a coyote there.
If all those traps are lured, the multitude of scents may be overwhelming to her nose and she's reluctant to investigate any of them.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the tip, I GREATLY appreciate it and will do just that tomorrow during the day

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Alot of my skunks look like that. You've got alot of traps there!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

this guy has ZERO white on his tail and body though, not even a white tipped tail. just a silver dollar sized white "hat"!

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

as for a lot of traps, like I said, I am new and trying to learn. Is that my issue maybe, over kill? This area is a pinch point between two giant pastures and I have had a TON of predator activity on the cameras at this point every year. seems that if a predator is on my property, it enters through that small pinch. as much as I've wanted to just put blind traps in the center of the walkway, there are also a lot of deer that walk through there and I didn't want that hassle of tripped traps. This yote has me frustrated so I think i am going to do it and deal with the deer.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is a thing guys call microlocation. You are already on location, now you need to find the exact spot you or better yet the coyote wants to be. With 45 pictures you shouuld be able to narrow it down. 17 gave some good advice and as you stated it seems to want to be there anyway. Don't get frustrated, its all part of the game.......
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 01:34 PM
The Man

To deodorize him (which I'd recommend to do either before or after skinning), you can either use the peroxide / baking soda / dish soap recipe you can find online or if they sell it near you, the "Nature's Miracle Skunk Deodorizer" sold in the pet section of the grocery store works awesome too.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page