Lure Reviews... What's your favorite? And when? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Lure Reviews... What's your favorite? And when?

This has probably been done before but I think a good thread would be a lure "poll"... With all the guys on here that catch good numbers of fox and coyotes I think it'd benefit everyone (and save some money) if we shared what works and what doesn't when it goes down a dirthole..

I'll start.

Lenon's Fox Lures have been my best producers for fox

Songdog Supreme has caught me some yotes. So has Hiawatha Valley Bait.

Miranda's Farmland Fox gets the thumbs up from me.

And the last time I used Highway 61 Bait I almost got Chlamydia!!... (mangy possum a few days ago..you can look up my post on it)... Not knocking this bait, haven't used it enough yet.. But it does catch possums...

It is time to manage avian predators!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Lure Reviews... What's your favorite? And when?

My best fox lure is still some homebrew stuff my stepdad bottled under the brand White Fox Lures back in the 70's and 80's. This lure is at least 30 years old and still smells wonderful everytime you crack the lid.
Specifically, "Curiosity #2" which is a concoction derived from cat genitalia..... and "Fox Food #4" whose base is rendered groundhog fat.

When it gets cold I like to use some Carman's Circle Maker and more recently Circle Maker Magnum.

Really I would have confidence in any Fox gland lure, as long as you crack the bottle and the fox jumps out at you, you're good to go.

On rub post sets I've had good luck with John Graham's Badlands Bob. This stuff gets them rolling, which is perfect for rub posts.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I was hoping you'd chime in 17. You try making some of the "white fox lures"?? You can count me in for a bottle to try if you'd part with some..

I got some Marsyada's Red Fox Gland Lure the other day. The "fox definitely jumped out at me" when I opened that.. It's made local too.. I remade 2 sets with it the other day that were being ignored.. I'm hopin the change up pays off..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:56 AM

ive only made 4 catches in footholds in the past 2 years....but, i cant get anything with anything that isnt skunky...

not sure why..ive tried red gland lure..various brands..various lures..maybe its because im typically trapping "the dead of winter" last year i didnt start till about now...this year i got a few weeks head start...

i found out quick that loud tainted bait draws in stinkers...only 2 i caught last year were from loud stinky tainted bait...this year, trapping much warmer weather, no stinkers or grinners...some sets this year have fresh baits...widow maker, 3 meats, and sweet meat...none of which are loud at all...3 meats smells like dog food..sweet meat has some kind of sweet base and is a chunk meat...widow maker has an interesting smell..but its not loud or nasty...if i want somethin loud its gunna be skunky..
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have the ingredient list and instructions on exactly how to make it, but I've got a descent enough supply that I don't have to fool with that stuff yet.

The brand was called "White Fox" because he trapped an albino red one year and kept it penned. Later in the season he caught another red with long white legs and kept it alive as well. He had a vet breed the two foxes and the vixen had a litter of all white pups. They tried it a second time and again had a litter of all white pups. 11 all together I think.
He ended up selling all the animals live to individual buyers when the business was dissolved. He's got some grainy pictures of them floating around somewhere and I think two pelts that were tanned.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:07 AM
The Man

The K9 lures I reach for the most are probably, Leggets K9 Exciter, or Hawbakers Wiley Red 500 in dirtholes, and scent posts........

The best coon lure I have ever used (not trying to catch coons) is Miranda's farmland fox #2, I have caught many more coon's than fox when using that lure for some reason.....when I am trying to trap coon's I have had a lot of luck with pure SFE

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Circle Maker Magnum, Klondike, Skunk Junk, Gusto...........skunky lures at their best.

I forgot about Paul Dobbin's Purrfect. I need to get some more of that for a fox change-up.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:32 AM
The Man

Quote:
Circle Maker Magnum, Klondike, Skunk Junk, Gusto...........skunky lures at their best.
Have you ever tried Cronk's Allagash Fur All Call......smells like Gusto, only toned back a little bit.......It is sort of between Windwalker, and Gusto.......I have had good results with it.....

Criclemaker....all I ever catch on it is Possums

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Mauser, You catch anything on the widowmaker? I used it twice and couldn't keep the deer outta my sets so I stopped...

Farmland Fox #2 worked well for me on the greys this year. Got some Purrfect because I read that worked well on grays and I caught nothing on it. Two sets side by side the farmland fox outperformed the purrfect on the grays for me..
My friend mixed some bacon grease with purrfect and took a few reds on it early season though...

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

As far as skunky lures. I've got gusto and violator 7. No dice on the gusto but my friend got a red the 1st night with the violator. So I tried some and caught a yote the 2nd night (a few days ago) and then a skunk this morning..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page