Got permission, but got a problem..... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Got permission, but got a problem.....

I got permission on a really nice farm close to home today and the landowner showed me around and said I was the only one that had asked to trap so it was all mine.
I pull up to my first set location and get out of the truck to catch a big whiff of skunk in the air. Right in the middle of the field there is a week old skunk carcass in a trap that had been eaten on by something. I walked around the circle and saw multiple piles of coyote scat surrounding the skunk.
I first called the landowner back to tell him it wasn't my animal if anyone asked and he didn't know who else would even be in there. I saw no sign of any other trapping activity in the area so I continued to make a few sets around the farm.

I just don't know if I should call the local WCO about it or just let it be. I've let a skunk mellow for a day or two in a trap after dispatch, but this one has obviously been there for quite some time.

I saw a flock of 20 turkeys too. 18 longbeards and 2 hens.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Got permission, but got a problem.....

If it was me I would look for the tag to see if it had a name on it. If it did I would give a fellow trapper the benefit of doubt and contact him first. If it didn't I would let the landowner decide the course of action. I have lost faith in the GC officers in my area after they failed to investigate an incident I reported awhile back.

WHEN HUNTING THE LOWS ARE LOW AND THE HIGHS JUST AREN'T HIGH ENOUGH : LISIZNIE
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I thought about that too. Standing around and circling the set I didn't see a trap tag on it, and we all know the law about fooling with another trappers property, but I am very curious to see if there is a name tag on the trap.
I just got word from a local about who USED TO trap those fields. He's a local big shot trapper that everybody knows. I'm going to do some more snooping in the morning I guess.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

As far as I'm concerned, the trap is now the property of the land owner. I'd cut it out of the ground and give it to him, regardless if it was tagged on not. Then I'd set some inexpensive traps just in case the guy comes back and decides your's is now his....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Therein lies the remainder of the predicament. I have no junk traps. Just a bunch of souped up Bridger #2s that I would like to keep in my possession.
Time to move the Game Cam I guess.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

yeah gotcha, I wouldn't want to loose my good traps either. I'd still cut it out, whomever set it isn't supposed to be there and apparently doesn't respect the sport or the animals. I'm assuming the skunk was dispatched (I hope) and left to be cleaned up later, I do that too, but it's gone the next day at the latest. Honestly, if the person set without permission he's more than likely a dirt bag and would mess with your stuff regardless if you cut his trap out or not.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I found another trap on the same property today that has nothing but a Possum foot in it. Obviously it's been there awhile. They are both older Victor #2's and they have no name tag on them.
I talked to the neighbor overlooking the property and he confirmed that it is the guy I suspected because there is only one way into the property and he can see almost every square inch of it from his house.
So, Mr. Millville trapper, if you see this and get ahold of me, the landowner is allowing you to pick up your traps and get out for good.
If we don't here from you by the end of the season, he's going to take further action.
And don't try to pick up your traps without saying anything because I've got a camera overlooking one of your sets.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

keep us posted on the out come

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page