bait pile for CRs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

bait pile for CRs

anyone run a bait pile for CRs??

i shot a doe with the flinter on Saturday...got her all processed and got the carcass and scraps to get rid of...

thought about taking it to an old "manure field" that my buddy didnt farm this year and dumping it in the middle of the field and hope to hang some CRs on paths the critters make...

pretty sure were allowed to do so, as long as they arent set close to the bait...right??? can/would also take any carcasses there to keep the pile fresh...

just wondering if anyone does it and if anyone has success with it?? i know lots of guys in different states do it with lots of success..just dont know about here..if its legal and if its worth it....

i had a set of yote tracks go into that field the other day in the snow..i hung a CR in the tree line where he crossed into the field..

but if legal and y'all think its worth trying, i could put my deer scraps in the field and try to get some action...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Sage

Re: bait pile for CRs

I think the visible bait thing comes into play here, but not sure.

There really should be a distance set for visible bait.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When I took my CR class 3 years ago, the instructor told us that you could set CRs literally right next to the carcass if you wanted to. He scuffed a spot in the grass to mark the carcass and stepped back two steps and said, "You can set one right here if you want to."

I took 3 reds off the same deer carcass last year, but it was getting late in the season and we had alot of snow. I would suggest trying to follow the trails as far from the carcass as possible and start setting the trails at a distance first and then work your way towards the bait. I think your secondary and tertiary catches will be less leery of committing to the bait if you don't already have an animal snared right on top the bait.
I'd set them both, far and near at the same time, but hope for the distant catches to come first I guess.

The trouble with setting right where they enter the woodline is that they often slow down or pause before entering the woods or break into the open. 10' and farther in the woods or 10' and farther in the field has been working good for me.
I've caught them right on the edge no doubt, but I've seen them pause too.

I told my dad yesterday that next year I wanted to get a bunch of bait piles going for coyotes. They are just too hard to pin down otherwise with cables.
Foxes? I'm starting to get their number!

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Part of the Community

I don't know which CR

I don't know who the instructor was that told number 17 about setting right next to a bait pile he built BUT I do know that is specifically illeagal!The only way you can build a bait pile and do anything with it is if you are HUNTING over the pile.If you want to trap anywhere around the pile it has to be covered so it can't be seen from the air.This is another one of the so called GRAY areas of the regulations.It's the same as baiting deer or bear. If you find waste corn in a picked field you can hunt deer at that field or if you find a large amount of acorns that a bear is feeding on you can hunt there.The difference is you can't put the corn on a pile or gather acorns and put them at a particular spot and hunt bear over them.I ask about trapping around a deer that I found dead in the woods. The answer I got was if the deer died where I found it,that was concidered a natural site.If I drug a deer to a spot and trapped or put cables around that was concidered baiting.I know that is as clear as mud but that is the way it is. You best check with your WCO,he is the one that makes the final desision in your area.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Rups, im pretty certain my CR instructor said the same....

i wouldnt set RIGHT on it...the field i have in mind isnt huge..but, would allow me some space to play back off the carcass and not directly on the edge of the fields..its knee to waist high..would make an easy CR set..if we ever get some snow so i can see where they are running...

never thought about the critters stopping to look around before hitting the open..but ive seen it...the tracks in the snow from the last time the yote came through that tree line showed no pause..its not much of a tree line..

i dont have the best fields for CRs..everything i have is farmed or TOO thick..

got a field a few miles away i am pretty sure i can cable some fox...i need to ask permission and get setup over there..
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rups
I don't know which CR

I don't know who the instructor was that told number 17 about setting right next to a bait pile he built BUT I do know that is specifically illeagal!The only way you can build a bait pile and do anything with it is if you are HUNTING over the pile.If you want to trap anywhere around the pile it has to be covered so it can't be seen from the air.This is another one of the so called GRAY areas of the regulations.It's the same as baiting deer or bear. If you find waste corn in a picked field you can hunt deer at that field or if you find a large amount of acorns that a bear is feeding on you can hunt there.The difference is you can't put the corn on a pile or gather acorns and put them at a particular spot and hunt bear over them.I ask about trapping around a deer that I found dead in the woods. The answer I got was if the deer died where I found it,that was concidered a natural site.If I drug a deer to a spot and trapped or put cables around that was concidered baiting.I know that is as clear as mud but that is the way it is. You best check with your WCO,he is the one that makes the final desision in your area.

Absolute BALONEY!

Every canine trapper in the state uses "Bait" as an enticement for their traps. How big of a chunk of bait can I use then? A teaspoon, tablespoon, ladle full, bucket full, entire carcass, a pile of carcasses?
Cover a carcass pile? What do the critters do when they're done eating on it? Cover it back up for you?
Show me anywhere in any book that it says I can't use a carcass pile to entice canines for trapping purposes. If you are going to take that regulation literally, then if anybody anywhere in the State places a carcass, the entire State gets shut down to trapping. After all, there is exposed bait, at an undetermined distance, so you can't trap. That makes sense doesn't it.
What about a farmer's carcass pile where he dumps his cows and chickens? Can I trap around that? I know for a fact that in my area I can set trails leading to carcass piles.
Show me anywhere in any book that says I can't set a CR directly ontop an exposed carcass if I want to. Not a trap, but a CR.
How on God's Green Earth is a raptor going to get caught in a legal CR setup anyway?

I took the CR class 3 years ago up in Tunkhannock. Anybody else take that course?

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Here's my take... there is nothing written (accessible to me which is crap) informing me about how close I can trap or hunt from "bait". It is so grey and I beleive they (pgc) prefer to have it that way. A youngster that I'm teaching to trap asked that same question (legality/distance) on sunday while I was setting cr's without bait. I informed him that the law was to protect raptors as "17" stated. What it all boils down to is: I find it darn near impossible to catch a bird in a cr that is set within the height and size specifications. But then again it would be difficult to catch one (not impossible) in one of my canine traps (due to the needed pan tension). So here we are once again guessing what is legal and what is illegal (not right/wrong... ethical, etc.) This is due to the fact that the pgc is not descriptive in the "rule" book. This is why you will go varying answers from others, as well as wco's. By know means am I bashing the pgc, just say'n.

I'll keep my money, guns, ammo, and health care; you can keep your change
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rups
I don't know who the instructor was that told number 17 about setting right next to a bait pile he built BUT I do know that is specifically illeagal!The only way you can build a bait pile and do anything with it is if you are HUNTING over the pile.
You're wrong Rups. Page 17 of the current digest specifically states:

Quote:
Any natural or manmade nonliving bait can be used to attract coyotes for hunting or trapping.

Eh...wot?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

And it says this on the same paragraph:

Any decoy,
including electronic decoys, used in the trapping or hunting of furbearers is permitted.

I wonder how many owls and redtails you would catch in a foothold with a "quiver critter" left on all day/night in an open field.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 01:42 AM

I don't know about the quote that lugnut posted. I think the key word there is coyotes. If you got anything else like (coon,fox,bobcat,badger,mink, muskrat,opossum,otter,skunks,beaver,martin,weasel, which are furbears) around exposed bait you would be illegal. Coyotes are not listed as furbears. So if you was guarinteed to only catch coyotes you MAY be ok.

1A-2F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page