Gold Digger - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Gold Digger

Had our first Digger yesterday , set was dirt hole with really small hay pile for backing , bed in salt and peat wax paper pan cover local dirt dusted . we took a nice grey at this set few weeks ago . its probably a good thing I walked up on it cause it was uncovered at the edge and only half exposed , like a pro mine sweeper found it lol we recovered it but my question is are we made ? should we pull it ? not sure what tipped em off set was there two full days so dont think it was our scent ? really nice dyed n waxed set up w earth anchor . its something every day hope they was moving last night . my 5 year old and 7 year old are so excited in the mornings to get to our sets .
we went to the dist 7 fur sale and they were so excited seeing all that nice fur lol good times and really good folks took the time to answer theire questions . its been years since I trapped and back then nobody would tell ya anything ? its way diff today everyone seems to wanna share and their advice .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 AM

Re: Gold Digger

What you have there sounds like a classic coon digout. I've had this happen a good bit this year on my fox sets. What I have been doing is either put a nice tight step down set in or remake the set the same as you had it before the dig out. I then place 2 other traps in front of the first but offset one left and one right about half a trap width of the original trap. I then put a fist size rock or piece of wood or stick between the two offset traps for a guide. If you think you need more guiding you can put some on both sides of all 3 traps starting at the dirthole. It will look like a upside down V and the trap placement should look like a upside down Y. I almost always have a big old boar coon withing 2 checks!

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks that sounds like a good Idea , have you ever seen mice dig at sets ? just asking there are coon in there for sure and what threw me was the finesse in which this was done ? no dog or canine could be so discrete , I dont think anyhow ? just started useing peat n salt so this component is all new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:05 PM

I doubt it was mice. Them ol' coon are very good. They have hands and fingers just like you and I. Just make sure your trap is bedded tight with no movement. I think a coonn will feel around the outside of a trap bed area for unsturdyness. If they push down on a lever or loose jaw and something wobbles underneath they start to dig starting from the outside and working in until they get ahold of the trap. I've had them dig a trap out and flip it without firing the trap. And all my traps are tuned and night latched so they are very slick critters. More slick then most give them credit being.

post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:39 PM

Long Beard...you just described all of my digouts. All on dirthole sets. They seemed a delicately precise extraction by bandits! They've all been pulled up from underground, flipped over still set, poly-fiber underall pulled from under the pan and laying near the trap, the dirthole intact but the baited/lured wool pulled out (from 6" down) and laying near the hole.

Last weeks warm wet weather brought me two such sets, and a raccoon caught in a cable restraint nearby.

I've had local guys loudly disagree that raccoons are the culprit, swearing coons don't dig. I'd love to give everyone their phone numbers!

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

Had it happen to me about 3-4 times this year.. Just as banjoman described.

Had a set about 20 feet away from this one that was taken out of the trap bed unfired.. This guy was waiting in the other set in a stepdown by the hind foot... Coon have very sensitive hands and if they feel the trap they'll just move it out of the way.. Been my experience anyway. Mostly with bigger coon and never in a stepdown.

It is time to manage avian predators!
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:22 PM

Looks like someone got thier hand caught in the cookie jar or should I say a stepdown !!! Way to out fox'em !

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

He's actually got a mb550 on his hind foot (it's hidden underneath him). I don't know why he won't take his front paws outta the dirthole but he didn't until dispatch.. He still wanted that lure I guess...lol

It is time to manage avian predators!
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM

Ha HA I guess he was fully commited. That's why a step down is a awesome set and they look great and critters love them.

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 PM
The Man

I get bigger coons from time to time that will take a trap, and flip in upside down without firing it.......that is how ginger they are with them.......I always re-set the trap, and make it good and solid again....usually in a day or 2 you get the culprit........if it gets dug again, I set a trap about 6" behind the first, and blend it in perfectly...........that will get them 99% of the time.....

When I caught this coon a few years ago, he was standing on the trap levers with his hind feet trying to press them down, and let himself out.....thats how intelligent they are..........

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page