Hound Caught in a Snare Today - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Hound Caught in a Snare Today

My dad was running the dogs on bunnies today. One dog was chopping away on a cottontail when my father suddenly heard him making odd barks then began squealing. He approached the area quickly and found the dog caught in a snare.
I trap (alittle) and have no issues with those who do. However my dad informed me the snare was of a "dispatch" type with no deer stops or any type of stop for that matter. He stated it had one of those little kill springs on the slide. I've never taken a cable restraint class here in Pa or thought about snaring. But I believe such a snare is illegal.
Once again, I have NO problem with trapping. But am not a fan of an illegal setup.
I'm glad he got to the hound quickly however.

Never Misses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 PM

Re: Hound Caught in a Snare Today

yep PA cable restraints require a relaxing type lock, no kill springs allows, and a max loop stop and deer stop must be on the cable as well...

i would contact the PGC if y'all havent already...id be willing to bet there is more than one snare hung in that patch by the same guy...gives all of us a bad name..

the PA cable restraints restrain..when use legally, they typically dont kill...its like putting a dog out on a chain...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

Beagler

Like mauser said illigal if it had kill spring and no deer stop. I would get it and see if it possibly had a trappers tag. never know people do stupid things and for some reason might think they are allowed. If it had a tag could help the WCO out a bunch. Good luck that is why they have the course and have to be certified for Cable restraints so dogs are not killed or injured severely. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, that's no good.
I go to great lengths to try to make my traps and cables as critter friendly as possible, even above and beyond most common practices.
Then somebody can go and do something like that and get the property shut down for good, or worse...
Another trapper got permission on a farm I trap this year so I didn't set there at all. This new guy set early and I never set it until after deer season is over. The farmer is adamant that none of his cats get hurt by the traps, and for 4 years we have had no issues because of the extra measures I take. It is a fantastic fox farm and I just hope this new guy treats it with respect.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB#24
I would get it and see if it possibly had a trappers tag. If it had a tag could help the WCO out a bunch.
It had no tag/ID #.

Never Misses
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:41 AM

Your telling the rong people here call your regional office. Trappers don't need any more bad publisity. Get it taken care of by the WCO.

1A-2F
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagler
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB#24
I would get it and see if it possibly had a trappers tag. If it had a tag could help the WCO out a bunch.
It had no tag/ID #.
Well then there you go beag, the guy knew he was wrong if he didn't even have a tag on

Never Argue With An Idiot
They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 AM
The Man

it should have had a deer stop for sure, and a tag but the "little spring" may have been the whammy which is just for hanging and has nothing to do with the function. if he thinks they are wrong he should contact the GC. if there is one there are more. we (houndsman and trappers) don't need a dead dog. or the bad press from the whole deal because someone is setting illegal snares or thinks someone is if they are not sure what they are looking at. the lock on a cable res. is pretty much the same as some beaver snares (bent washer type) just the washer is bigger. i think they need to be at least 1.25 inches. i'm sure if his dog was in it he still has it or knows where it is. i would have someone (wco) that knows what they are looking at check it out.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I never thought about the spring type whammie, and that could be exactly what he was seeing. The "dispatch springs" look more like a miniature version of conibear springs.
The locks though don't need to be the big washer locks anymore. That was an old regulation.
Newt Sterling from SnareOne fought to get locks like these legalized for Pa use, and I'm glad he did.

This is one that held a coyote very much alive for me:

And a fox from yesterday with the same lock. This behavior is typical of a critter in a CR, like a dog on a lead.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:49 PM

Number17, what kind of BAD are you using there?

1A-2F

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page