Like its not even there.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Like its not even there....

So with the warm weather last week I had 2 dirt holes that caught coons, one that caught a possum and one with a skunk. It was super muddy and my sets were totally trashed so i figured that i'd turn em into hay sets. With the fresh snow I've had yotes and reds walk past two of these sets like they weren't even there. One set was just urine and the other had urine and some meat buried in the hay.

Now what? Just leave them alone? If it snows should I fluff them up or just leave them buried? I cant believe that they walk right past it without even poking around! Just scratching my head here. Thanks for any advice or tricks!

Team Home Wrecker- Coming to a field near you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 02:19 PM

Re: Like its not even there....

I've had good luck with using some call lure in. The hayset...

Red urine and glands just didn't produce..got a skunky call lure in some and made catches...

Depended on how I felt, how much snow etc....but I refluff and rebuild the haysets usually...a little snow won't hurt...a crusty snow or ice will kill it...the hay over the trap coupled with ice just makes a big sheet of frozen hay...eye appeal helps..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

It's VERY cold out there. I had noticed a few tracks today that walked down some lanes like my sets "weren't even there"... If they KNOW where there is food (a dead deer in my case) they are gonna go right to it, eat, and go right back to their hole in this weather... If it weren't frozen in I'd probably drag that deer outta there.. looks like about a 60lb doe that some muzzleloader guy didn't feel like finding or dragging out...

It is time to manage avian predators!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

One word Gusto 5 in 6 days says alot.

16/17 Goal-Totals
reds-20-10
grey-2-1
yotes-5-2
coon-12-9
bobcat-1
fisher-1-1
Otter-1
Beaver 3
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

how is the set made. if it parralel to their travel route? if not try that youll be suyrprised how well that works out with one little change. on that note though i have noticed that some fox WILL NOT work a hay set, however they will work a DH so I ALWAYS backk up a hay set with a DH

Pro-squeezing pro staffer

wannabe fox trapper
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper54
how is the set made. if it parralel to their travel route? if not try that youll be suyrprised how well that works out with one little change. on that note though i have noticed that some fox WILL NOT work a hay set, however they will work a DH so I ALWAYS backk up a hay set with a DH
You mean line the trap and dirthole in the direction of their travel? The sets they walked by did have the dirhole pointed perpendicular to the lane come to think of it.. They're walked 5 feet away and didn't break stride..

It is time to manage avian predators!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

No I mean like of the fox are walking this way .......... Then the hay set should have the middle wafer parallel to it like this
............___.......... Get what I mean? Not like ......|.... So they have to walk around it but so it's just there natural like so they walk through it without having to deviate from there destination much. Also sometimes food isn't a good thing. If you get one leaving a dead deer he may have a full belly and no need to eat. BUT shoul he smell someone else he may want to quick check it out and see who is trying to get in on his free meal. Just like some fox won't work a DH some won't work a hay set. I've had places where I didn't catch for a week popped a hay set in and caught a fox everyday for a week. However I've had spots where I caught 20 already and threw a hay set in as a change up but caught all the fox in the DH and saw in the snow where a herd walked by. Also had literally at least 4 sets of tracks walk around a hay set at a location because I had it like ....|.... Turned it and Strted catching.

Pro-squeezing pro staffer

wannabe fox trapper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page