Bedding in Peat - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bedding in Peat

There are alot of you that seem to swear by peat so please give me some ideas. I have been using it but so far I am unable to get the trap firmly bedded (rock solid). I recently blended some peat 50/50 with local dirt (semi moist) and have no problem getting the trap to sit and packing it in. Of course since we have had 1.5"+ of rain in the past couple of days and temps in the teens tomorrow I cant believe the layers of salt and calcium I used pre rain will keep these sets from frezzing up. So how do you get a trap firmly bedded in straight peat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 05:32 PM
The Man

Re: Bedding in Peat

i make my bed very small. only as big as the trap and bowl shaped so not much of the cross fram is sitting on anything. pinch the dirt (with your layer of peat between it and the trap) up under the levers and pack good inside and out. if it still wont sit, nail it down with gutter spikes.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Some guys like this idea and some guys tell me I'm an idiot.
Getting used to it by now though.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...53#Post2495653

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 07:28 PM

I only use a 1/4" or less in the bed to bed the trap in only to help keep the frame and levers from freezing tight. Then put my trappers cap on and sift peat over trap, pack peat tight, sift more peat on and pack. I do this until I have approx 1/4" of packed peat covering the trap. I then pull the trapper cap of and put a pinch of fine peat on the pan to cover it and then sift enough local dirt on top of the peat to blend in with the rest of the ground. If there is to be a chance of freeze I sprinkle table salt on the set before I leave. I use enough salt to give the sifted dirt a look like it has frost onn it. Again you must sift the peat and also use polyfill under the pan.

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 07:32 PM

17 that spike deal you use there is pretty awesome! But I can already feel the PINCH if I try it on a 1.5 coil! lol!! Not much room to work with on those 1.5's. I would definitly try it on my #4's though. Awesome post and pics you got there.

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 09:30 PM

I sift all my peat at home and dig my bed as small as possible and then use a trappers cap.I don`t use any salt.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by long beard
17 that spike deal you use there is pretty awesome! But I can already feel the PINCH if I try it on a 1.5 coil! lol!! Not much room to work with on those 1.5's. I would definitly try it on my #4's though. Awesome post and pics you got there.
He mentions using a nail set which should make it work for ya just fine with a 1.5... I don't do it everytime but have tried this method and like it. Where necessary, I use nails... On another note, I stopped to remake 3 sets this afternoon right close to the house. Every one of them fired no problem through DRY peat.... I used calc chloride instead of table salt but it goes to show you how quick the peat drains returning the trap bed to exactly how it was.. Only thing I don't like now is the snow drifting over all my holes but I'm not remaking anything but the traps down in the lower muddy areas..

It is time to manage avian predators!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page