CRs out in the Open......(pics) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

CRs out in the Open......(pics)

I started off two years ago setting my snares tight to cover. Hedgerows, briar patches, tall switch grass seemed like the best place to hide the loops. While they are still great places to look for trails, I found a trail in the middle of a low grass field that was just littered with fox turds. There were similar deer trails all throughout the field, but this is the only one that had a ton of fox sign. I followed the trail from point A to point B and found that it was the corridor between a point of brush/thicket that extended into a cornfield and a break in a hedgerow leading to a tall switch grass field. I'm thinking they come out of the thicket and travel to the switch grass to hunt.
I just set the trail yesterday morning and had a small male red waiting for me this morning despite the downpours we had all night. I now have 4 snares hung like I should have done last night.

You can see the trail starting in the lower left corner of the first picture. Although it is a faint trail, there was little doubt fox traveled it. I didn't try to hide the loop at all other than fluffing up some grass on each side of it. The cable was untreated other than letting them sit in a bucket of water for a few days to form a dull patina.
It just amazes me that animals will stick their heads in these obvious metal loops, but I'm glad they do.

I had another snare knocked down at a different location and while resetting it I caught a good whiff of fox pee. I think the little sucker marked my snare location for his buddies! They are getting smarter.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: CRs out in the Open......(pics)

You can also see that he has the cable really twisted up and I think it was close to the breaking point at a few spots. I've got to get the swiveling action out of the grass. I've got a few prototypes of compact inline swivels I'm going to be working on.
I don't believe in chew outs. I believe in twist outs.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:47 PM

nice catch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:39 PM

very nice!!! i need to work on my first CR catch!! hopefully this snow that is coming lasts a few days so i can find some trails to set!

how do you attach your cable to your anchor???

i use cable stakes and attach my CR swivel to a crunch proof swivel that is attached right to my cable stake...i know most guys use quick links or S hooks to attach CRs to their anchors...ive pulled S hooks open fairly easily and will never use one..my method gives 2 swivels to the CR..though, they are both attached to each other and may both bind up...it might also help...i gotta make a catch and see!

when i make my cable stakes a crunch proof gets attached...when i make my trap chains, the 3rd swivel already has its stake attached..and when putting the anchor on the CR, same thing..i just close the J hook on the swivel right to the swivel on the CR...

but, an inline swivel a foot or 2 from the stake might do alot of good! hope you come up with something that'll work...and is legal...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 PM

Congrats and thanks for the info

trapping goal
fox:
coons:
coyotes:
mink:
muskrat:
beaver:
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just have a loop end on my cable and make the attachment to a crunchproof at the cable stake. You can see the swivel body at the bottom of the second pic.
(2) 1/4" steel nuts welded together to form a figure "8" I think is going to be my best, cheap inline swivel.
The snare cable will have a break somewhere between the max loop stop and the anchor end. Put one end through the figure 8 and pound on a stop. Put the other end through the opposite side of the figure 8 and pound a stop on.
It's not really smooth running when pressure is applied, but when pressure is let up the cable completely untwists. It works pretty slick actually.
A double ferrule used as a swivel in a similar fashion works almost as well, but binds up a bit more because the cables and stops ride too close to each other....
I hope that's at least clear as mud!

Big Heavy Saltwater inline barrel swivels I think would work really well, but they are pricey.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Part of the Community

I Just caught my first cable restraint fox yesterday. First fox for the season too. Small female. I had found a trail the day before that looked good so I set one up. Glad I did.

Have you ever set a trap up in the catch circle after you have caught something? The fox I caught made a big muddy catch circle and I am thinking about throwing a trap in the center and making a quick dirt whole set.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm sure a trap set in the catch circle could definitely work, especially this time of year with a sweet smelling little girl like this.

I double set the trail with a cable on each side of the catch circle about 15 feet in each direction. I wanted them far enough away that the foxes were still moving when they hit the loop rather than tip-toeing in to sniff the circle. We've had some terribly windy nights, but it finally worked again.

Pick up just my second gray of the season yesterday too. This set saw no action for 2 weeks, then suddenly a possum one night and a gray the next.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 11:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

congrats, you take some really nice pictures of your critters, good job
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 11:31 PM

That looks like some big country out there. Nice catches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page