what happened here?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

what happened here??

Ok...scent post at the corner of a field where a tractor path divides the fields...briar patch at the end of the fields....

The sheeps wool ontop was burried in a crack in the wood...think I had lenons fox #3 on it..maybe leggetts..sheeps wool at the bottom was in a crack too with fox urine on it...all the sheeps wool was hidden and couldn't be seen....

Any thoughts??? My guess is maybe a coon? Only thing I can think of that could pulled the sheeps wool out of the top....and trap too muddy to make the catch? Couldn't see tracks anywhere...lookin at the trap, she was a muddy mess when she fired...the way I had the sheeps wool burried in the crack, I don't know what coulda pulled it out...

3-4# of tension on that fully modded bridger #2...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 05:17 PM

Re: what happened here??

Doesn't look like a pullout to me being the trap wasn't moved from it's bed. Looks like a coon may have pulled some of the wool out but depending on how sturdy and deep you have the post in I would think a nosey old coon would pull that post over. That being said with the heavy rain and high winds last night maybe the rain & wind dislodged the upper wool and the weight of the dirt turning to mud set the trap of? From the pics it looks to me like you have a good amount of sifted dirt on top of the trap. Try using strait peat and just enough sifted dirt to cover the peat. I cover with about 1/4' of dirt. I always use peat at every dirt set and my traps stay dry and unfrozen all season. When the freeze comes I sprinkle table salt on top of the layer of sifted dirt to keep it from clumping. LB

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sometimes a trap will be tripped by an animal when it is frozen but the trap won't fire till it thaws. Wool may have been pulled by something like chicadees.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 05:31 PM
The Man

A bird might've pulled out the wool too.

You like blaming all your trapping mishaps on those poor coons! LOL

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

thanx guys! a bird very well could have pulled the wool out of the top..though it shouldnt have seen it unless wind moved it around..which the wind and rain may have moved it out too...

ground never froze last nite..rain rain and mud soup..my sets are all in peat and glycol sprayed in the bed and over them..and lots of peat...does look like all mud, but i promise theres a lot of peat and i only top dressed enough to cover/blend/hold the peat in...

trap was never moved from the bed like was said..so no tellin...it fired somehow....

Adam, your right i do blame them dang coons for everything!...but, i know how them dang ole coons are with their little paws..but, i caught 2 today!

i'll keep at it...and i'll get the canines im after!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:01 PM

06 do you pack the peat tight around the trap? I pack it as tight as I can and almost never have wet none firing traps. Here's a step down after a 1" rainfall 2 weeks ago and the next morning after I took the pic I had a big old ringtail and I never touch the set after this pic.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

yep...i bed the trap solid with dirt..even if i cant find the driest dirt (i work out of state may-nov..so no dry dirt for me..gotta find what i can when i can...) and then pack with peat and top dress it...i spray the bed with glycol to keep the trap from freezing down..then spray it after its firmed up solid..then spray it after top dressing...

i checked a few sets today just to see how bad they looked and all looked good except 1 or 2 need a little sifted over them...i just dont know how they will take to snow/temps in the teens...some have flake antifreeze in the beds too some dont...dont know if they glycol "washes out" and they will freeze now or if they aughta be OK...just gotta see how they fare...they might freeze..or they might be fine..

going to play it as i see it..but will let them go till Sunday before i mess with them..will obviously check them every morning till then...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I bought some glycol the other day to try. I opened it up and put it in a spray bottle and misted a set this morning. The stuff that I got stinks! It says odorless right on the bottle, but it smells like medicine to me. It's not the spray bottle either. I'm tossing that stuff out and going back to salt.......unless I have a canine in the trap in the morning.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Longbeard, I've set off traps that looked like that when bedding with peat and a big poof of dry peat comes flying up out of the water. I love the stuff.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 PM

You bet 17 !!! I think the key is to use a trappers cap and pack your peat then add more, pack add more until there is about 1/4" covering the whole trap then take the cap away and level peat on top of the pan.. I even put about a 1/4" in the bed before I bed my trap to keep the levers and base from freezing down. I also sift my peat and use polyfill under the pan.I think all that ensures a dry unfrozen working trap. I then spinkle the good old $.69 per lb table salt on top once I sift the final dirt cover on. I love the stuff and heckyeah I'm cheap !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page