first double! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

first double!

Well, went and checked my first 3 sets today...I can see all 3 from one vantage point over 100 yards from any of them....

Sure enough I see critters in 2 of them! One looked like a skunk from the distance...the other I thought was a fox...

I got closer and found the skunk to be a nice boar coon!

Got closer to the fox and realized it was another coon!..a muddy one, but, a coon..

The first was back footed...the other was front....both in #2 round jaw monty step ins...night latches, laminated, offset, and 2-3# of tension...both burried deep...so, confirms to me coon aren't getting out of my traps...gotta be deer like y'all said!

Being a dog runner, I don't trap coon...but, still excited about my first double...and, after over a half inch of rain, my traps worked obviously flawlessly...which boosts my confidence in bedding and setting....after it freezes tonite, they might not fare so well....gunna remake and rebed probably Sunday....id like to get my one coon catch remade today...nice circle and not super muddy...the other is a loss...6" of mud soup...gunna remake one at the nearest "dry"...field got a ton of canine sign....

Skinned one coon...got the other tranfered to a cage trap...gunna show it to my pup and get him started...he's 9 months old...its time...his litter mate brother is hunting and coming on good already...I like to wait a little longer than my buddy...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 04:17 PM

Re: all 3 from one vantage pointfirst double!ee

Nice catches. Have fun cleaning them before skinning.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

The top one was fairly clean and dry....I opted to get the muddy one in the cage for the dog and skin the cleaner one right away...the other might get to live...depends how the dog does...it is in good shape and will release no problem...but its actually fairly clean now that its in the cage...rain must rinsed it some lol...I watched it shake itself off like a dog...

Catch pole and a muddy coon...well, it was comical to say the least!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Well my pup knows what he is supposed to do! He did a great job workin the coon and treed it natural! Got his litter mate brother out to play as well...he is already started and hunting on his own...this coon was the first my dog has ever seen...

My dog pushed his brother right outta the way and treed hard!

Wish we coulda got the coon to climb a bigger tree...this is the only pic I got of both of them treeing together...too hard for them to tree together on the small tree..

Some of y'all might remember me driving to Missouri last feb to breed a dog....these pups are the 2 we kept from that litter!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Good stuff. I've never been on a coon hunt with dogs. If it is anything like hunting rabbits, I'm sure it is good time.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Those are two good lookin' hounds! Are they out of Trackman or Cold Sweat? I remember you posting that you went out there just don't remember which one you bred too.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 01:21 AM

trapping goal
fox:
coons:
coyotes:
mink:
muskrat:
beaver:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

first double!

thanx guys!!

zk, its a bit different than runnin beagles..but its a blast! typically done in the dark and they run the coon up a tree..guys either love it or think its the dumbest thing ever..

clanc, we bred a gyp out of Dohoneys Dizzy to Trackman...cold sweat and sweat it are throwin pups..but, Trackman has a great track record of reproducing...i wanted to go right to the source...

my buddies dog treed his first coon on his own tonite! only ran him alone 3 times total now! a few days shy of 9 months old getting it done alone!

i love trapping...i love a ton of stuff...but, runnin coon dogs was my first love...ive said it 1000 times now...if i was forced to give up EVERYTHING in my life except 1 of my loves/hobbies, id take runnin coon dogs...

everything was movin hard before the heavy rain hit around 10-1030...maybe i'll be skinning in the morning!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page