pull outs... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

pull outs...

this week i have had 2 pull outs in the same location...both fully modded bridger #2s..offset outside laminated jaws..night latched pan and around 3# of pan tension...bedded in dirt and antifreeze and a bunch of peat moss and top dressed with antifreeze and dirt from the set..sets arent freezing they look good (seen others in the area when i went to remake the fired traps i dont check up close every day..)

both were dirt hole sets...

no catch circle or anything..fired trap and chain pulled tight...no hair or anything..no tracks...

im guessing coon? i dont even think deer..i think there would be kicked up leaves/ground from them jumping when they got spooked..

any thoughts?? i hope im not missing fox or coyote..no reason i can think of that i would miss them..with the setup, they should be buried DEEP and not going anywhere...

always heard offsets wont work for coon..so thats why coon is my guess...even a toe caught fox or yote would tear up the ground a bit till they pulled out..and would likely leave toes or hair...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 03:38 PM
The Man

Re: pull outs...

I'd just about garauntee it was deer.

Ive caught plenty of coons in offset traps.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Frequent Contributor

Mauser I have caought 6 coons this year in offset mb550's at dirt holes. 3 of them where pretty small and I released them. The 3 small ones where held just fine. Without tracks you never know for sure what it could be. I have had deer pull out that I got on trail camera and did not see much of a disturbance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I'd just about garauntee it was deer.
x2
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

thanx guys....

deer DOES make sense..the holes arent dug or anything..both times the trap was pulled straight back away from the set..backing wasnt disturbed or anything..more fox/yote sign on these trails than deer sign! lol just playing the waiting game...2ft from the set that was fired this morning is a canine "toilet" lol..tons of scat...nothing steaming fresh...but they use the trails regularly..

funny both fired traps are some of my only sets in the woods right now..my field sets havent been touched..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

x3 on the deer. I have never had a coon pull out of my offset MB550's.

If you plant it, they will come!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

weird y'all dont have coon pullouts...ive read countless times offsets and coons dont go together..but even if they got out, now that im thinking about it, they arent going to get RIGHT out...either chew out or pull out after some struggle and the set would be wrecked..

only 1 non-target since i started setting Sunday..not bad..i thought with this warm weather i'd hammer possum and skunk! but with the warmer weather i stayed light on call lures for the most part..and i dont use any tainted foul bait..tried it a few times and skunks in both sets i used the stuff..
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 04:07 PM

x4 deer

Skin that one Pilgrim and I'll get you another

www.prosqueezings.com / Morgan lures
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

Catch plenty of coon in offsets. Prob. deer. Are you sure you have enough pan tension?? Also,you stated you aren't luring heavy so that almost eliminates rolling animals. Too bad we didn't have snow!

I'll keep my money, guns, ammo, and health care; you can keep your change
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Snow would be great!

I'm not luring heavy and avoiding anything really loud because its warm yet....and I don't use any tainted or foul baits...

A rolling critter would likely leave the trap fired in its bed or close to it and/or leave some hair I would think??

No hairs to be found and both traps pulled to the end of the chain...the more I'm. Thinkin about it, the more Id agree its likely deer....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page