fox urine - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

fox urine

I to do some scent post with a little urine on them and didn't have luck with it. I had male fox urine. Does anyone see a difference in whether you use male or female urine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Part of the Community

Re: fox urine

I never knew the sex of what I purchased and with the way they collect urine most must be both sexes in same batch.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:33 AM
The Man

Under normal circumstances I don't think it makes any difference, but years back in the bounty days, during the months of March and April, female urine in heat scored well.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thank you both! I tried some about two weeks ago (male) and I didn't see a hint of action at the sites. but spots not far away had action. Wasn't sure if male urine would spook a female or not. Thanks again!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

Are your scent post sets female compatable? other wise any good fox urine will work,male,female.or mixed
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've posted this before and I'll throw it out again, you can accept it or not. I've been using it since 1972 I think. Here's the story.

I grew up in a small coal town in Schuykill Co. There was 1 trapper friend that was always "curious" about "where" I was trapping, it bugged me that he was always trying to horn in on my spots. One day I was walking out of a big laurel thicket and wouldn't ya know it he drives by seeing me walk out, I thought crap, now he knows I have traps here. Sure enough later in the day I see him parked there. I wait till he leaves and find he put in a dirthole out of sight of mine through the laurels but maybe only 40 yards away, not sure if he knew exactly where my set was. I thought I'll fix you so I peed all over his set, totally saturated it. Next morning I had nothing but in his set was possibly the biggest grey I ever saw. I couldn't believe it, shocked!

Well since then I used this with a lot of success. I've tried it and experimented with it literally all over the country and in mexico. Just scratch out an area around a marker so you can see the tracks and try it. I do it everywhere I hunt just for fun to see what is out there. I figure how many times has every fox or coyote approached where someone took a leak, probably around every gutpile, and 99.99999% of the time they were able to visit the spot without any negative consequence. A dog is a dog.

In hindsight of this post I wish I would have done it, but I was going to take a video of me marking the set and then the results, but in better taste opted not to, but I took a couple pics. Here is a set that I marked, I hung that large brown grape leaf on the end of the stick and saturated it, the trap is in the ground under the moss fluff.

The next day the leaf was about 2 feet away, probably the wind but I'm not sure, I rehung the leaf better and saturated it again. This was the result from the day after that.

And a pic of a sample test from last year during deer season.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

tundragriz, I know a guy that did some testing on coyotes usinghis own urine and found out ot worked better then coyote or fox urine
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

hmmm something to think about I guess.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Regular Visitor

On scent post i always had better luck using carmans red fox promix and up in the mountains where red fox wasnt around the coyote pro mix worked well
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 04:13 AM
Part of the Community

I know of guys that mark deer scrapes with their urine and get other deer to use the mock scrape.....maybe urine is urine. I know years ago they meat fed fox daily and the urine was almost black and skunky smelling but if they fed the raw meat diet daily for too long the foxes seemed to get sore kidneys. Most serious fox trappers had a penned fox or two for urine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page