Anyone ever sell their catch to taxidermist? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Anyone ever sell their catch to taxidermist?

Just wondering if anyone sells what they catch to taxidermist and what is involved for legalities. I am trying both trapping and taxidermy out. IF you do sell them do you charge the same price as you would for a fleshed and stretched hide or less because there was no labor.

Feel free to pm me with some ideas on what i can expect for prices. I really want to catch a grey fox and mount it but i figured id get a back up plan if that doesnt work out. Thanks again guys.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 03:16 PM

Re: Anyone ever sell their catch to taxidermist?

not sure on legalities in PA...

but i know guys in other states sell rare stuff on the taxidermy market...albinos, red phased, black phased, anything odd...taxidermist buy it at a higher price than the fur alone is worth...they mount it and sell it or display it in their show room or whatever....

not sure who we can legally sell fur to in PA and not sure who can legally buy fur...

but, they most likely wont want your regular critters...if selling on the taxidermist market i would freeze the critter whole also..let them skin it how they like..

fur buyer will buy your fur for the fur market...some buy whole animals (in the round) skinned but not fleshed and stretched (green or in the grease) and skinned, fleshed, stretched and dried (put up fur) depends on the buyer...depends on species and condition and market for price...

hope this helps...

if you catch something and dont wanna mount or or dont wanna spend the money for a mount, sell it to a fur buyer or have it tanned..having it tanned is much cheaper than a mount..hang it by its nose from a shelf or whatever and they look great...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I was infering that i would buy a unskinned animal to try and mount myself. I will rephrase my question to...

if it is legal would you sell your catch to a taxidermist? If so would you sell it for the price of fur or cheaper because you didnt have to do any of the fleshing or skinning work?

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Personally, I'd still want the same amount. Actually I'd want more cause every part of the animal needs to be in great condition and the gas isn't cheap to make the special delivery. Maybe instead of a $15 put-up fox pelt, I'd ask for $25...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 04:36 PM

oh...so you want to buy a whole critter so YOU can mount it...

personally if legal id sell it for about the going rate of green pelts..say a gray fox, maybe 15$ or so..give or take 5$ lol...skinning a fox takes a few minutes..freezing it for a taxidermist and arranging pick up or drop off etc would be more of a hassle for me than skinning it...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The selling price to a taxidermist varies upon condition of the specimen and how much the taxidermist is willing to pay.
Example: is the (let's just say a regular grey fox) animal
skinned, lips split, ears turned, feet skinned
out, tail split ? If so you could get more for it
than you would get from a fur dealer.
Unusual color or size would be another value
factor.
Again, it's what the taxidermist is willing to pay.
I've been a licensed taxidermist for over fourty years and
have bought and sold animals/ capes and furs on the
taxi.net but I'm not going to pay any higher of a price for
something if I do'nt have to and when I have something to
sell the price is according to the condition of the specimen
as discribed as above.

I hope this helps.

Taxidermist

On the borders of Tioga, Lycoming, and Bradford
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for the insite guys. I will be looking around for a grey fox once i get a few mounts under my belt. I really want to catch something in my live trap and i want to buy a few traps and set up for fox but the only place i can find them right now is online and i dont want to add to my credit cards. I have a friend who is setting his traps out again. I will let you know how i make out.

Thanks again.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

Mike not far from you and caught 2 grays already this year. One I am getting mounted and the other I am going to get tanned for a hanging. Not planning on trapping much more but If I would get another one probably would get in contact with you and have you pick it up if you would still want one.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When I was a taxidermist in PA the local WCO told me I had to have a fur dealer lisc too if I were to buy raw fur off other furtakers, and also to resell these pelts of course. He never showed me the actual law as written, but did claim to research it and sent me a letter about it. To me this is like asking a random PA cop if open carry is legal in PA. Some don't know the law, others get it mixed up, and then some actually do know. So you should do research of your own, as it sure seems like it's ok for a lisc taxidermist to buy raw animals for their own use without needing a fur buyer lisc. As for me in MD, I can aquire pelts from others w/out a fur buyer lisc. I have a taxidermy lisc. People give me critters, or use some in trade for mounting fees. I get their hunting/fur lisc info for record keeping. I have DNR cops in here who check my records now and then and they have never said a word about "given to shop by...". Now and then I buy things from other states, off taxi-net or ebay.

As to prices. First the whole animal should have as few flaws as possible. A big scar on the forehead is a big no-no. Some taxidermists are even picky as to reject the animal if you shot it in the head. Some of us like to buy in the round, some are ok if you case skin it and leave the head and feet in unskinned. If you don't know how to do it further than this, don't. Charge market price for ordinary animals when in the round. Special color animals like black coyote etc, charge more. You WILL get more for unusual animals.

When I sell taxidermy pelts, I either have them fully prepped and salt dried, or sell them tanned. I provide the 3 basic measurements which are nose to inside corner of eye before skinning, the girth at the widest on the belly, and nose to base of tail. The last 2 I do off the skinned carcass and I add .5" to nose to base of tail since I leave about that much cartilage with the nose on the skin. I split the tails, and also flesh the hides very well. I note any damages such as bullet holes, rips, skinning nicks, small rub spots, or holes from where the trap held the animal.

Things to keep in mind- treat each taxidermy grade animal as if it were a steak. Either freeze it whole ASAP or skin and prep it ASAP, keeping it cold. When freezing bigger animals whole do not ball them up tight. You can do it after its half frozen though. Do not stack fresh animals together in a pile, either in your vehicle or in the freezer. The body heat can cause decomp to start early, and can cause fur slippage later.

The following require cooling faster and more care:
-foxes- grey and red
- weasel/ermine
-possum ( varys- some are so full of discusting bacteria...)
-coyote ( simply due to large body mass)

the following are a little "tougher":
-mink
-muskrat
-skinned coyote
-coon
-beaver
-bobcat
-fisher
-skunk
-otter- if you go out of state for them

Keep in mind that even a manged or rubbed animal with it only on the rump may have a good shoulder cape.

Keep dead critters out of the sun as much as possible.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well said X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapperwoman
When I was a taxidermist in PA the local WCO told me I had to have a fur dealer lisc too if I were to buy raw fur off other furtakers, and also to resell these pelts of course. He never showed me the actual law as written, but did claim to research it and sent me a letter about it. To me this is like asking a random PA cop if open carry is legal in PA. Some don't know the law, others get it mixed up, and then some actually do know. So you should do research of your own, as it sure seems like it's ok for a lisc taxidermist to buy raw animals for their own use without needing a fur buyer lisc. As for me in MD, I can aquire pelts from others w/out a fur buyer lisc. I have a taxidermy lisc. People give me critters, or use some in trade for mounting fees. I get their hunting/fur lisc info for record keeping. I have DNR cops in here who check my records now and then and they have never said a word about "given to shop by...". Now and then I buy things from other states, off taxi-net or ebay.

As to prices. First the whole animal should have as few flaws as possible. A big scar on the forehead is a big no-no. Some taxidermists are even picky as to reject the animal if you shot it in the head. Some of us like to buy in the round, some are ok if you case skin it and leave the head and feet in unskinned. If you don't know how to do it further than this, don't. Charge market price for ordinary animals when in the round. Special color animals like black coyote etc, charge more. You WILL get more for unusual animals.

When I sell taxidermy pelts, I either have them fully prepped and salt dried, or sell them tanned. I provide the 3 basic measurements which are nose to inside corner of eye before skinning, the girth at the widest on the belly, and nose to base of tail. The last 2 I do off the skinned carcass and I add .5" to nose to base of tail since I leave about that much cartilage with the nose on the skin. I split the tails, and also flesh the hides very well. I note any damages such as bullet holes, rips, skinning nicks, small rub spots, or holes from where the trap held the animal.

Things to keep in mind- treat each taxidermy grade animal as if it were a steak. Either freeze it whole ASAP or skin and prep it ASAP, keeping it cold. When freezing bigger animals whole do not ball them up tight. You can do it after its half frozen though. Do not stack fresh animals together in a pile, either in your vehicle or in the freezer. The body heat can cause decomp to start early, and can cause fur slippage later.

The following require cooling faster and more care:
-foxes- grey and red
- weasel/ermine
-possum ( varys- some are so full of discusting bacteria...)
-coyote ( simply due to large body mass)

the following are a little "tougher":
-mink
-muskrat
-skinned coyote
-coon
-beaver
-bobcat
-fisher
-skunk
-otter- if you go out of state for them

Keep in mind that even a manged or rubbed animal with it only on the rump may have a good shoulder cape.

Keep dead critters out of the sun as much as possible.

Taxidermist

On the borders of Tioga, Lycoming, and Bradford

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page