flat set..hows it look?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

flat set..hows it look??

So walking a field today looking for sign, this grass clump just really stood out...and, its right on the path the yotes used last season...I took 2 in a hayset there last year...I figured it was a good time for a flat set...

I put some lure on sheeps wool and covered it down in the grass clump and a few drops on the weed above the set...I put the weeds in to try to keep em working the trap side...they will likely come out of the woods behind the set...but I liked the high side for the trap...and last year, they all liked to circle out in the field before coming to the set...so, I put the trap on the high side...

How's it look? First time putting in such a set...I worry about blending and trap placement...but, if they wanna get close to the smell, they pretty much gotta cross the trap...

20yds or so up the slope I put in a flashy set...put in a old log/stump with a call lure on top and a 2" baited hole and a small hole with red fox gland..

Couldn't find sign in the field...but its full of groundhog holes and isn't farmed and I caught 2 yotes there last season..so had to put sets there this year...wasn't sign last year either till I set it lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Re: flat set..hows it look??

Wow that pic looks bad....the clump of grass is much more noticable than it looks...and the weed in the center is 2ft above the clump and not hanging over like it looks...the weeds on the left and right are angled too just trying to keep them working the set where the trap is...

That clump stood out like a sore thumb..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Wind is killin me...right now its southernly...few days will be northwest...I made the dirthole/stump set 20yds or so behind me (when I took that pic) and its facing the woods...the yotes came out of the woods behind that flat set last year and went out across the field...so, no matter the wind, they cross the scent..just tough with the weather and ever changing winds with these warm and cooler spells....

Interesting findings..I've read the same and that's why many say plug a scent post in near your dirt holes and I've been doing that on most my sets...I laid the sets in kinda heavy...got 2 on one farm, 5 on another, and 3 at 2 others...some are double sets in one spot...

I love snow for learning...and my critters see enough boot tracks they don't seem to mind mine...so that's nice too...

We'll see how it works out...I got a decent spread so far and confident they can all take critters..just a waiting game..tomorrow nite before the front wed looks promising...

Blending sets is tough to learn...I'm trying...got a few posts and flat sets out I blended...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Awesome catches! And boosting my confidence! Sound like I'm on the right track....

Maybe having a few sets on one location may help get them to commit to one...give em something different to smell and see and increase the odds...

I much rather catch fox...skinning yotes isn't fun! Lol. But I'm afraid I need to keep workin the yotes so I can maybe see fox again...so I'm trying to keep my sets geared for either...took 3 yotes last year and the population seemed to have doubled this year...one on my hitlist...I already put a hit on him with my 308...not sure how he is alive...I wanna catch him and do some CSI...I seen him alive almost 2 weeks later..hole right where I put it...he should piled up right there!

You see better yote results at flat sets and/or scent posts compared to dirt holes?? Western guys are big on flat sets...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

To be honest, I catch more out of the holes than anything, but I have caught enough on the others to warrant that I keep making them. The set I need work on is the urine marking "scent post". Trap placement kills me on them......and I believe that if I could get that set down a little better, those ones that come by and crap would be in a world of hurt. That's just insulting when I have 4 - 6 traps thrown around a 40 foot area and they still manage to crap and run

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page