Pulling out stakes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Pulling out stakes

I am literally sick to my stomach over this. I just put this set in yesterday and used an earth anchor on it. Supposedly the best anchor to use with cable restraints. At least that is what I read when I was researching online and told what to use instead of rebar stakes when talking with a couple of trappers. I have been replacing ALL my rebar stakes with them. Well I donít know what it was but it got the earth anchor out of the ground. I looked all around to see if the actual cable broke and couldnít find anything. So I am assuming this happened. I feel terrible about it and the thought of an animal running around with the cable on it makes me really upset. I walked around for hours hoping to find the animal entangled somewhere else but I couldnít find anything. I sure wish we had a little more snow. I just donít know how I could have done any better to prevent this. I shopped around and spent good money on top of the line products so I had to do something wrong. Any help would be appreciated

I know this informatoion is a litle spotty but what do you guys think. Just got this from my son who just started trapping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pulling out stakes

It could have been another person who actually stole the snare. Was the area torn up from an animal or was it clean like a person did it.

There's hunting and there's hunting with a good dog
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Did you set the anchor when making the set? I have seen times when the anchor came back up the hole with the driver and was only a couple of inches from the top with the cable in the hole. If we knew the style of anchor it would help. Some systems have a load line and a release cable. if so was the trap connected to the correct line.

Home of the J Hook tool& Retrievable Cable Stake.
John 3:16, PTA Life 131N, NTA, OSTA, S.A. CSM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Have used Duck bills for years on a 9 inch cable and never had anything pull them out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

I will get back to you guys on this, when I find out the answer to your question. Thanks
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

He said the ground was tore up pretty good in a circle. He thinks the ground was so soft that it just pulled the anchor out. Thanks again for the advice.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

If you used too large diameter of a driver, they can pull out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 08:17 PM

Sounds like the ground may been too soft for the earth anchor...a critter in a cable can't really get the fight the can in a foothold...can't pump the stake or work it much...and, if they try, the cable sinches down and they stop fighting...

I use pogo disposable anchors..once I drive them I pull on them to set the anchor and to make sure they are in...

Not sure how long of a cable you used on the anchor...some areas require long anchors..I have lots of clay around...10-12" is plenty in most my areas..I run 15" cables to be safe...

And when I get it in, I pound the hole from the driver closed...

I've never had an issue with anything pulling my anchor out...but gotta make sure they are in good...been a number of times I pulled them right back out easily...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:02 PM

Never had a problem with duck bills. I use them on cables and traps never had them pull out.

trapping goal
fox:
coons:
coyotes:
mink:
muskrat:
beaver:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page