Please teach me how to trap coyote. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Please teach me how to trap coyote.

Well I am a deerhunter but I have been getting a ton of coyote pics on my trail cameras in central PA. I have never trapped before but I figured this would be a good time to learn. I obviously have a lot to learn and a bunch of questions. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
1. What size trap, chain and type of stake should I use? Again the goal would be coyotes.
2. I would love to catch some fox and have greys and reds on camera but what about other "non-target" animals..what are the best ways to release skunks raccoons etc?
3. If I would catch a coyote or fox, is a .22 the best method or is there another better option? Please pm if you would prefer.
4. I live near York PA and would love to attend a class on trapping if there is one nearby.
5. I read the detailed post about hay sets and I have access to some good hay. I would like to try this method do I need snow for this to work? What about coyote pee lure? What is recommeded and where can I find it?
I would appreciate any advice you can provide..thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Re: Please teach me how to trap coyote.

Some more questions I thought of....
6. Where would be the best place to set coyote traps? Things to look for?
7. Are there any special tools you recommend or must-have stuff?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 03:52 PM
The Man

Check the previous threads on this forum. There is some absolutely great information here. We have some trappers that are first rate against coyotes.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

might b a little late to start this yr.if u never tried it b4. iv only bin doing it for 3 yrs now its a great sport that takes alot of time to do it right. trap size i like #2 or#3 for coyotes i base plate them and 4 coil them beef up the chains and swivels 2.0 chain and crunch proof swivels. i like super stake ends they hold a anything. quick links r great for super stakes to hook the traps to stakes. theres alot of stuff on youtube and other sites for free videos. during the summer i would make sets in the yard just to get use to bedding the traps solid that is key for canines....but theres a alot of tricks that r self learned that u will find out when u start trapping. everybody does it diff u have to do what works for u dirtholes flat sets, pee post, cubby sets, and blind sets all have there place u have to fig out what works in ur area.good luck iv got coyotes running all over but they dont whant to work a set. still trying to find what works for me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Part of the Community

Clint Locklear has a few good videos up on his Wolfernation website
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

Malcolm
Starview Sportsmen put on a 1 day trapper seminar to introduce new trappers. I believe it usually in August or Sept. They have also offered cable restraint training.
http://www.starviewsportsmen.org/

If you come to the end of a path, do not turn back, continue on and make your own trail.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 09:39 PM

Id get after if for the rest of the year, you will learn a ton by doing it, learning in the field hands on. In the off season you will have a better idea of how it all works and you will be going into next year stronger for having been out this year. What area of SC PA are you living?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Part of the Community

I've never caught a coyote, but I have caught red foxes. All of mine were caught in dirt holes. Hawbakers widowmaker 800 and carmans pros choice worked best for me. I usually offset the pan from the hole about an inch, and put it back 6 from the hole. Be sure to wear gloves, blend the trap in well, and don't contaminate the traps. I really like bridgers, and wouldn't go smaller than the #2. Berkshire disposable stakes work pretty good for me.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Wow....thank you so much for the replies and Pm. I have learned a ton already.
I am also going to check out the trapping day at Starview Sportsmans Club. I live about 10 minutes from the club in York, PA.
I watched a ton of youtube videos and I picked up some of Tom Miranda's trapping instructional videos as well.
I will be limited to trapping mostly three day weekends next year but I am really looking forward to it.
Thanks again for all of the tips.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 PM
New Arrival

PM trappin4reds2010 he's the best

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page