Salt on sets - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Salt on sets

Saw a video on youtube , guy was trapping coyotes , and was useing rock salt to bed traps as an antifreeze , this time of the year that anti freeze gets expensive at 4 bucks a pop . was wondering if any of you use salt to keep traps working ? wonder what that trapping antifreeze actually is ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Salt on sets

No Hard on traps.

Home of the J Hook tool& Retrievable Cable Stake.
John 3:16, PTA Life 131N, NTA, OSTA, S.A. CSM
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use regular table salt at 39 cents per can. I use it pretty heavy and have seen no appreciable difference with corrosion compared to using no antifreeze at all.
I just tried a set the other day with RV antifreeze sprayed on the trap bed and caught a red the next day, so there's another route for you.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 02:49 PM

im no pro...ive used glycol this year and caught a red a few days later at a set...and it functioned through a few nites of heavy freeze/thaw/snow/rain/melt/snow/freeze..it was nasty..

RV antifreeze is supposed to be watered down glycol and its a few bucks for a gallon..after my glycol is gone im going to try it..i also use the glycol to cut my urines and keep them from freezing..theyve been in 10 degree temps in my truck bed and didnt freeze..

i do cut my pure glycol with water..enough to thin it so it will spray out of the spray bottle..

i wouldnt be surprised if "flake antifreeze" sold to trappers is a form of calcium chloride..if your traps are waxed good you shouldnt have much of an issue with ice melt, calcium chloride, salt etc...just keep in mind salt becomes less and less effective as temps get lower..calcium chloride is more expensive but is more effective i believe..

not sure on the glycol..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page