Change up or let them sit - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Change up or let them sit

I have a total of 14 days experience with traps set. Until today I have never had them set for more than 4 days straight. I have been using different variations of dirtholes with and without steps, scent posts, and haysets. The first couple of nights nearly every trap was either dug snapped or holding a coon or oposssum. I then was away and pulled them. The following week nearly the same thing- I would have some sign at nearly every set ie digging, fresh tracks, or snapped traps, then I had to pull them again. This week I returned to the same spot to reset and make a few new sets. One of my snapped off traps I left in the woods was stolen (besides the point I hope). I set a dozen Duke 1.75s (actually 11 now) baiting the dirt holes with Carmans Pro Choice and deer meat, the haysets with red fox pee and Mega musk. The dirt holes are all bedded in Peat. The first check I had two coons (in dirt hole sets)and the other dirt holes all had sign of either raccoon or fox. That was tuesday morning. It is now Friday besides one dirthole having a fresh track next to it this morning I have had no action since Tuesday. Do i move them all around for fresh action or sit back and wait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 03:02 PM

Re: Change up or let them sit

hang in there they will be back

Skin that one Pilgrim and I'll get you another

www.prosqueezings.com / Morgan lures
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 05:37 PM

if you wanna catch fox and coyotes i would recommend staying as far away from the sets as you can when you check them...after a few days, your scent is probably all gone from making the set...that is ideal..opposed to having your scent there daily..fox likely care less than yotes and coons likely dont care much about scent...

alot of times a catch circle from a coon, possum or skunk or anything makes the set more appealing...

i had a hayset out last winter for a full month..i had the traps active for 3 of those weeks..1 week i fired all my sets due to crazy weather and heavy ice and freezing rain..that set was in a good spot..but i think should have been moved over a few more feet...LAST day i could have my sets out, i had a yote in that hayset..i re-lured it and brushed snow off etc but it was the same set sitting there for a month before it made a catch...

im no pro..last year was my first season..

my area is small woodlots and farmland..i cant figure the critters out...i only target fox and yotes...they seem to be real random and sporadic..i had one group of yotes down to every 3 nites coming through a field..caught 2 at the same hayset there..but i had one running down a driveway ever 2-3 nites a mile or 2 away and after i caught 1 or 2, those tracks disappeared...im fairly sure i caught that one..

just gotta get the sets in good locations and keep them functioning...

ive never had a catch the day after i made a set..i know it happens..but most mine seem to be 3-4 days..i kinda think that my scent dissipates and the critters get more and more curious and finally work the set..

with this warmer weather, i expect the critters to move well..and i expect the coon to move real well...should be a good week..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks Mauser. I can see keeping my distance from the haysets but the dirt hole sets are a different story. A few have been just slightly uncovered maybe just the pan or a portion of the jaw showing. I would assume these need to be checked daily and touched up as needed? Maybe even freshened up with bait or pee?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 07:52 PM

a good dirt hole or any set shouldnt need checked on daily...

you need to bed it solid and they need to be scent free..(boiled and cleaned, dyed, waxed works well) if they arent bedded solid or they smell, they are likely to be dug up...

if it rains thats a different story..they might need rebuilt..a lot of times they end up collecting water if its a good rain...but other than that, they should stay covered..maybe sift more dirt over them..sounds like maybe your not getting enough dirt over the trap...?

a GOOD bait or lure can last WEEKS even longer..urine depends..but IMO isnt really needed at a hole set..i use it at some holes..but, not needed IMO..i usually check mine once a week and will add a dab of bait/lure and squirt of urine if it been through any good rains..if the set hasnt been through any rain or deep snow, im not messing with it or getting near it till it time to pull it...

there are a few sets that i just HAVE to walk by..but, i never stop or poke around the set...i figure its better to stick to the ATV trails when walking opposed to busting through the woods..more natural for a person to walk a trail than bust through the woods..atleast here..that hayset was one of those sets...could have been why it didnt make any catches till the last day..i dont know..ive seen several fox in that field corner...but im not so sure fox exist much here anymore..

i try to avoid my sets for as long as i can....haysets are worse IMO...ive had deer fire them when i used hay instead of straw...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i leave them in till they produce might re bait after mice or red squirls steal my bait but other then that laeve them in.i got a coyote in a set that was out for a month and a half even though the bait was gone the smell is still there.iv moved traps around and got nothing to come near them.the less u handle the traps the better not only for sent but reseting the traps might cause them to rust. good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page