Do you guys actually dispatch animals with a... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Do you guys actually dispatch animals with a...

a rabbit/"falcon" punch often?

Look I will freely admit to knowing very little about trapping. I ask this because I saw it in the Education Materials.

http://www.hunter-ed.com/pa/course/8...tm#dispatching
Quote:
At some locations, traps can be set to drown the animal when caught. An example of this type of setup is a snare placed in the water. Finally, the least preferred way to dispatch a trapped animal is by using blunt force to the back of the animal's head.
Like I said I am very new to hunting and even more so with trapping. I dunno it just seems wrong to drown an animal to death or beat it to death... caveat if it's trying to kill you in the field. That's different. It seems like it's better to just use a trap to kill the animal outright, but then again cable restraints seem to be better at preventing unintended animals, livestock, or domestic pets from being killed. Then their is the whole issue of the animal being highly stressed when trapped.

If I'm misunderstanding anything please feel free to clue me in. Perhaps I'm only looking at the extreme situations which happen rarely or are as a last resort. I mean I personally find trapping and fur-bearing interesting, but like I said I have a lot to learn about it and I've always found the best way to move from ignorance to knowledge is to read OR ask someone. I have a friend who is an American of Korean descent and I asked him to explain the whole dog eating thing, because I figured I'd rather ask someone who knew (and he did and wasn't offended, heck if he was he wouldn't have been an usher at my wedding). So I ask here in that same principle.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to susquegander
Re: Do you guys actually dispatch animals with a...

A good wack on the nose causes bone to shatter killing almost instantly! used to use canoe paddle on coon rats ect. on water small wood bat on land
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Part of the Community

"blunt force to the back of the animal's head" does not mean beating it to death. It is one blow that will kill the animal instantly, NOT repeated blows to the head.

Christopher Neff
Westover, PA
Clearfield County
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yea what we do does NOT resemble a dark alley in New York City. It is one quick hit with instant results.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:41 PM
The Man

Quote:
It seems like it's better to just use a trap to kill the animal outright, but then again cable restraints seem to be better at preventing unintended animals, livestock, or domestic pets from being killed. Then their is the whole issue of the animal being highly stressed when trapped.
i don't believe you understand what a "trap" really is. most traps that are used are footholds. used right they simple restrain the animal until the trapper gets there and dispatches or releases the animal. i have caught stray dogs before thaty once let out of the trap followed me around like i was their best friend.
cable restarants set properly do the same thing. its like having a dog on a leash with a choker chain. they only pull until it is unconfortable then when stop pulling it releases the tension.
the only traps that kill are body grips, which are set in the water, or in a specail made box that keeps dogs out and has to be set in a water course.
foot hold can be set up on drowners which is more humane kill that it sounds. it is over very quickly.
this country is what and where it is today because of the fur industry and the trappers and hunters that explored it.
since then we havbe become "civilized" and people like PETA and the "humane society" now make what was the norm a terible thing. animals were put on this earth for man to use. (Gen. 1:28) (Gen 9:3-4)
here is a link to a video that may better help you understand traps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsj-2o0ux14

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:42 PM
hdt
Banned

Because this is a site that can be viewed by all, I do not beieve we should discuss matters such as these except in PM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdt
Because this is a site that can be viewed by all, I do not beieve we should discuss matters such as these except in PM.
It's not my intention to expose trappers to any bad PR, honestly it's just trying to learn more and with what bobcat said, it explains traps and trapping a lot more to me. If anything it removes many of my concerns.

The youtube link helps a lot too.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Regular Visitor

You know, on wolfernation, Clint made an interesting statement-It takes 8 minutes to kill a person with lethal injection and that is considered humane.
Any of the methods we trappers use generally are a lot quicker then that, so I guess we are more humane.
Just kind of puts it in perspective.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:58 PM

why hide from what we legally do? i for one will not wisper for what i lawfully do. i hunt, i trap and yes i do kill animals. and i am proud of that
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

Wack' em... Just as quick a rifle in my book. End results the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page