Fox help... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Fox help...

A week ago I caught two red fox at this set. When I caught the second 1 I noticed that the trap was dug up but still set at a set about 20 feet away (this set took a red, two cats, and a rabbit the 4 days prior). I figured that trap was smelly, dug up, and then I caught the fox at the next set.
Well yesterday I found this...

Today I found this...(guess where the trap is..)

So now I'm think a fox saw another get caught, dug my trap at the other set and is now gonna ruin my whole party up there... This is a great location and I wanna grab this guy as soon as possible.. A blind set anywhere around the set would be tough to blend in as the grass is still green.. Also, it's starting its diggin at the front edge of the dirt pattern so moving the trap out front prob won't do it... The snow is making me think about planting a trap in the backing somehow... HELP.

It is time to manage avian predators!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Re: Fox help...

I just noticed the bottom pic doesn't show it well but it did take 2 swipes of dirt out of there before moving on... Didn't touch the trap but did start to dig...

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 03:34 PM

I had a fox that I played this game with for several weeks, I put two sleeper traps using the dirthole as a point and finally caught him in a rear foot catch, probably some dirty trap or something, reset with new clean and throw out all the old peat moss and dirt and use new go heavy with the urine and dont worry so much about about blending in the fresh dirt etc wont spook him, let him look for the trap up close to the dirt hole and hopefully you will get him in one of sleeper traps. all that said sometimes you get em and sometimes you dont. good luck

LJS 1/25/48-11/3/13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I was wondering if the clean peat was what screwed me up. Two reds, smelly catch circle, then clean peat with a smelly trap in it.. I'm thinking tomorrow it's getting two fresh traps and a bigger dirt pattern.. As for fox urine, I don't have any. Only some carmen's coyote pro-mix that I've been using on yotes.. I've got Lenon Fox #2 in the hole now..

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

that top picture looks like what i saw at three traps within 150 yds yesterday.the first set i caught a bobcat and fox within a week at the other two nothing.so i've been wondering the same as you, and i have all clean stuff at two of the sets.figured i'll get him sooner or later.i think that if they saw another animal in one place those smells must mean danger at others.he didn't show this morning and now there is a little snow so i will wait and see his next move.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Hey I just had a thought. I just started using calcium chloride.. Think its smelling that?

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

they are dumb ANIMALS. you are making it more difficult than it is. keep pounding them.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagerbeaver
they are dumb ANIMALS. you are making it more difficult than it is. keep pounding them.
I agree. But this one seems to have a habit of digging way before the hole regardless of a stepdown.. Wanna get him asap so I can get the others that come by.. What would you do if your set looked like this two days in a row? Keep remaking it the same way? That's not pounding them...

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

set a hay set catch the fox. leave said hay set and catch the others that are there and wont work the DH.

Pro-squeezing pro staffer

wannabe fox trapper
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 04:37 PM

I just remade all my sets with calcium chloride on saturday and have no problems with fox coming in and working the set. I would blind set it some how. Good luck let us know what happens tomorrow.

trapping goal
fox:
coons:
coyotes:
mink:
muskrat:
beaver:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page