raccoon with rabies - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

raccoon with rabies

Have any of you ever had a coon in your trap that had rabies i am new to trapping and was just wondering if this happens and what do you do with the coon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: raccoon with rabies

You would not know for sure if it does unless you sent the head out to get tested ,Just be careful not to cut or poke your self when you skin it
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Part of the Community

I caught a small one last year that was real sick not sure if it had rabies or what. Acted real calm when I went up to it and pinned it dwn with my foot and took the DP off. Then it tried to walk and fell over so I put it down and just put the whole thing in the trash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

Had a coon charge me while hunting doves years ago. Scared the bejesus outta me. I shot it 5 times with my 12 ga and was still shaking. (didnt have a plug in the gun at that time) PGC told me no need to report it unless it attacked someone and they got hurt and said I did the correct thing.

Vegetarian: old Indian word for lousy hunter
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, I've heard rabid animals in the rage mode aren't easy to kill unless you get a head shot which isn't really good since the virus is in the brain. My dad saw a sick looking coon one day coming in the driveway, so I went looking for it armed with my .40, but I didn't see it. He said it was ambling along, so it probably went into a neighboring property or went into the depths of our bamboo.

I once caught a raccoon that was rubbed up furwise but was small. I let it go with a bit of the usual scrapping, only to see it wasn't too well.

Another time I caught a 5 pound coon in a lil griz on a night when it was about 15 degrees out. It was laying there dead in the trap. Born late and weak I guess. I have no idea why it was out in that weather other than it being REALLY hungry.

I've had 2 brushes with odd acting coons in broad daylight, 1 I shot it in the head without thinking, the other was on another property and ran out towards me and my dog chittering. My dog chased it away. There was a also the sick skunk episode way back before I owned any guns. My dad and I watched it go onto the neighbor's so I called down there and told the lady there was a sick skunk that went their way. She came up her hill and shot it in the head at about 30 feet with a .22 pistol. It did not spray. I looked it over and it had tumors, and a terrible sore on one foot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page