Need help... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Need help...

I recently moved to potter county from dauphin county, and at home with about 20 coon traps out with the same bait as i'm using now I would be in the teens at least for coon. My traps here in potter have been set for 3 weeks, 5 dps set on edge of uncut corn, on trails from creek, cinderblock sets on bridge walls, and pvc sets all with 1.5's...I have yet to catch a coon. Each set has either trout, carp fillets, or premaid coon bait, a stick dipped in a good coon lure, and then laid down fish oil for trailing scent. What am I doing wrong? Could there be just not enough coon? Most places i do have sign, and had a few checks where coon had come under a bridge, fooled around on the sand bar, and never even came close to my sets to investigate a smell! I'm in the oswayo creek area, and heard from a co worker that his friend is already in the 30's with coon about 9 miles up stream from me. Anything you guys can think of?

PA Predator Hunters Association, visit us at www.ppha.us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 PM
The Man

Re: Need help...

my coon catches are going in streaks. nothing for a few days then 3 at a time. there is beech in the woods here this year and i think they are spead out and the ones hitting the orn you got to have the set right in front of them because they know where they are going to eat not "hunting" something to eat. just my opinion.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Part of the Community

have you changed out your fish baits? Gotta keep them fresh when its warm out. fresh bait every other or 3rd day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

trout comes from the hatchery, floaters from the night before in 45 degree weather, still very fresh and salted carp from the summer, I change out about every 4 days...but i can change it before that

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Could be one of a few things...perhaps another trapper has sets just up or down from the bridge and is catching them before they get to your sets..food is thick in my area , maybe your area too...I personally dont set dp's unless its right on the sign and I mean directly where the trail pops out of the brush or directly on tracks or a coon toilet...Maybe try sweet baits...?..Checking empty traps suck...

..sitting in a tent over decoys ain't turkey hunting...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

I did not catch a lot of coon on the creeks this year because of the beech and acorns this year.As for the corn if there is still corn it's tough to get them they what corn and nothing else it seems,I find to give them something sweet does the trick for me and like the guys are say you got to be right in front of them..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:27 AM
Frequent Contributor

Not much advice besides stick with it. I set this past sunday, and catches are slower than last year. I'm kind of impressed with what I am Not catching in some areas.

I'll keep my money, guns, ammo, and health care; you can keep your change
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

with those DP's i've set right in the trail, they would have to stumble over them, and just for eye appeal, i've placed an ear of corn over the opening of each dp, to keep the rain out, and to give'm thier first piece of corn for the night...figuring they'd knock it over and be like well hmmm what do we have in door #2? but nothing...corn stayed on traps all week...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Change it up a little, if they've got a food source already that's keeping them full. Throw a flat set with a fox, mink, or cat gland lure on it. I've had them pass on baited food sets to investigate a gland lure.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Banned

The more I read on several different message boards the more I think something is "going on" with this years game population.
maybe the frack water.
Last year at the fur sale a commission officer was on hand looking at all muskrats.it will be interesting to see them this year and see what they are finding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page