Caught A Wounded Fox This A.M. (Graphic Pics) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Caught A Wounded Fox This A.M. (Graphic Pics)

We noticed he had a wound on his back when we caught him but didn't realize the the severity of it until we skinned him.

It was a bullet wound that goes in behind the shoulder blade and exits the other side. We are amazed this wound did not damage the spine...at least not enough to paralyze and/or kill. There are pieces of broken ribs and possibly shoulder blade inside the wound. This fox was functioning normally enough to inspect a dirt-hole and get caught. He was acting like any other caught fox at the set...showed no signs of being wounded other than some blood on his back.

Pretty tough critters...

Eh...wot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Caught A Wounded Fox This A.M. (Graphic Pics)

tough,tough critters.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I once had a coon in a trap that when I was approaching it noticed it was trying to groom a spot on its neck, and was more concerned with this than with me walking towards it. Once I was close it acted as a coon normally would in a trap and I shot it in the head as I always do. When I removed the dead coon from the trap I saw there was an entry and exit wound on the neck from a .22, and realized that is what it was trying to groom. When I skinned it, I saw the wound was a through and through in muscle, no bone had been hit, no windpipe damage, and obviously missed the arteries/veins. It was a fresh wound, so I concluded someone must have been squirrel hunting or bunny hunting early at sunrise or so, and didn't realize the coon was in a trap till after they shot it. They probably thought they missed the shot as well, but seeing it was in a trap, they did the proper thing and left it alone at that point. I know the landowner lets some people small game hunt, and goose hunt.

I've also seen foxes with broadhead holes where the arrow did not go through into much, and must have fallen out, or the fox jumped around or pulled at it and it fell out. By the time I've caught the fox they have been licking it and it's scabbing up. It gets to me when these are early season foxes, which means the bowhunter shot at a fox out of season. Overall I hate it as it totally messes the pelt up= low value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Any chance that somebody shot him without realizing it was in a trap? Maybe they saw a fox, shot it at a distance, and then realized it was in a trap?

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by number17
Any chance that somebody shot him without realizing it was in a trap? Maybe they saw a fox, shot it at a distance, and then realized it was in a trap?
I'm pretty sure he wasn't shot in the trap. The wound looked pretty fresh but I would guess a day or two old. He was one of the double we caught this morning. You can see the blood on his fur.

We got to this location soon after daylight so it's unlikely he was shot while caught (or the other one would have been shot too)?

Eh...wot?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapperwoman
I've also seen foxes with broadhead holes where the arrow did not go through into much, and must have fallen out, or the fox jumped around or pulled at it and it fell out. By the time I've caught the fox they have been licking it and it's scabbing up.
We did consider the possibility of an arrow causing this wound. I don't understand how a bullet, even a relatively slow moving one, passing that close to the spine would not have incapacitated the fox. If it was an arrow, it was a field tip...no evidence of damage from a broadhead which would be easy to see.

Eh...wot?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The tear in the pelt is much larger than the actual wound in the flesh.

Eh...wot?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page