New to trapping questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

New to trapping questions

Hey guys I want to start getting into trapping this year, I've been seeing way to many coyotes on my property. I have a couple questions though. Does anyone recommend any specific brand of lure to use in a dirt hole set? And where can I buy it? Also does anyone know any fur buyers in the butler county area? And my dad gave me alot of #2 coils will they work fine for coyote?
thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:53 PM
The Man

Today is OldMink's birthday!
Re: New to trapping questions

There's a lot of fine lures on the market that will work. Click on the Animalistics banner at the top of this page. They have a selection of different lures as well as other supplies.

I trap mink because I don't know any better
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

What Condition are the traps in. Are they new traps or old. I put at least an inline swivel on all my traps. So that way there is a j-hook attaching the chain that swivels, and in line swivel,and I like to put a swivel on the end of the chain plus the double-stake attachment, which has a swivel already built in. Always double stake or use cable stakes. There are a lot of people on here that use more than that to hold coyotes. like laminations, base plating, shock springs. etc. I dont go that far on modifying but in my opinion you should add in lines at least, because coyotes are strong. Ive never caught a coyote before, I run a short line. But whats important is that you make them strong enough and staked strong enough. For lures,Russ Carman is a very smart guy on coyote behavior, and Ive only heard good things about his lures.

Catches/goals
Yotes-1/2
Greys-0/2
Reds-0/1
Cats-0/1
coon-3/5
beaver-0/1
possum-3/0
skunk-1/0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:27 AM
The Man

if the #2 coils you got from your dad are the old sqaure jaw victors they may not hold. where are you at? maybe there is someone close that could help you out a little.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:55 AM
New Arrival

If they are either of the old Victor square jaws, one jaws pointing in and one jaws pointing out, will not work very well. Anything will hold an occasional coyote, these traps will not hold most. The problem is in the base of the trap and the levers. The levers don't allow the coil to set in far enough to keep the coyote from tearing them off. Then if they don't do that, the base will collapse, especially if they have been used and are not new out of the box. I've had coyotes chew them up and leave them in pieces without even pulling them apart. Most all of the #1 3/4 or #2 round jaw coils out of the box will hold most coyotes. Most all traps need specific modification per type of trap. Some do not need anything and for the moeny and time (plus most will go with them later) investing in a trap like the MB550 or KB 5.5 allows you to go trapping with a trap out of the box and will never fail you. Many lures will work. I also say, go to a lure person and look for the * which usually means a best seller. LOCATION is everthing and you can catch them with Salmon! I sell lures and baits and you can look at them on my website. Russ Carmen is the ultimate lure maker and few understand animals as he does. Hawbaker has probably accounted for the most furbearers deaths (LOL) and I used John Graham, Kischels, Tim Caven, Bob Young and Bob Jameson for years as an alternate to mine. Don't know of any fur buyers close to you. I like a bait/lure combo for coyotes and a good gland lure for Reds. Good trapping! Animal

http://www.coyotevideos.net If you want to outsmart an animal, you can! Hard work is the answer.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

PM me if you want. I live in northern butler county and, am involved with district 2 of the pa trappers association. Possibly, I could give you some pointers and such. I don't know when I'll be on this site next... busy trapn!

I'll keep my money, guns, ammo, and health care; you can keep your change
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for all the input..I'm pretty sure they are victor round jaws I'm not positive though, I will have to check this fri when I get home from school.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page