Domestic catches - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Domestic catches

What do you guys on here do with a domestic animal catch? I caught a pitbull mix this week and the first thing that went through my mind was "oh no I didn't bring my snare pole". I got out and was just talking to her real calmly. Made a fist with a leather trapping glove and put my hand near her to see if she would bite. She didn't so I just reached down and let her out. She ran about ten feet and sat down. I called her and she came right over. Real nice after letting her out. I petted her and checked for tags but there were none. She stunk real bad so I figure shes an outside dog. The catch was right across the pad and it was sore but I felt all across her foot and it seemed fine. She never pulled away when messing with the paw. What do you guys do in that situation? I caught a nice big red in the reset 2 days later and a pullout of some kind day after that. Funny that most of my buddies, even ones that hunt all thought a trap is supposed to break their legs. Strange

BTW,
I was using a mb-550, 2 coil offset jaw. In a dirt hole with jamesons ultra blend fox creme in the hole red fox pee squirted on top.

QDMA LIFE MEMBER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:54 PM
The Man

Re: Domestic catches

got a couple dogs running loose where i am trapping too. no collars. i think one is the same one i let out last year. if i get them this year they are going to the pound.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i caught a rather large black sheperd a few years ago at the family nursery.pointed the revolver at it and stuck out my free hand for a sniff.it started wagging its tail so i figured it was friendly.when i released it it ran over and jumped in my truck.had to grab it by the collar to get him out.turned out well for the both of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just let em go if and when it happens...no biggie...Dogs are so happy to be let go....cats on the other hand arent so nice...

..sitting in a tent over decoys ain't turkey hunting...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Sage

Traps are not intended to break legs. Broken legs can result in twist off.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes, John S, we know that LOL.

Most dogs I've caught get a bit grumpy when I go to open the trap, I'm assuming that when I start to open the jaws there's some soreness they are feeling. But other than that, I only had one dog that was bad, and it was a german shepherd I caught twice 2 seasons apart. Not a very smart GS I guess, and not too brainy owners either. This same dog was supposedly running deer and the owners had been warned the dog would be shot if caught at it again. It's what the guy who got me permission to trap told me anyway ( he being one of the deer hunters, but not 1 of the ones who would actually shoot the dog).

Feral cats- they differ. Some want to scrap, others are just so scared they try to turn and get away allowing me to get the trap open. The scrappy ones I pin down the neck with a Leggetts trappers helper. I can't kill a healthy looking cat. Non of these ferals ever looks mangey, ratty, etc. One of them jumped in a pond and swam across it after I let it go. Made me almost think I'd just let a bobcat go, since every domestic cat I've ever had hates being in water.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

I know their not intended to break legs. Was just taken back by the fact that some hunters were the ones asking about broken legs.

QDMA LIFE MEMBER
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:12 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5-284BMF
I know their not intended to break legs. Was just taken back by the fact that some hunters were the ones asking about broken legs.
It's pretty amazing how some accomplished hunters know nothing about trapping. Hence they think traps maim, cripple and mangle critters. Any trapper worht his or her salt goes to great length to match the trap to the intended catch so as to NOT damage legs. Trappers are, as a rule, humane and caring folk and they also know that leg catches result in lost fur money.

Some folks were also born to editorialize ad nauseum.

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Its amazing how many people think traps break legs. I have a pic of a yote in a MB550 3 toe catch and they go look at that mangled leg. What mangled leg that's the way the leg is bent the trap is down lower than that. Also with domestics caught my wifes medium sized dog in an mb 650 let her out and was in my truck before I could blink lol. Cats well they are all different.

2/2 Warlords Fox Co 3rd Plt Follow me!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Part of the Community

Was setting more fox traps out no less than an hour ago and the farmer pulls up on the four wheeler with his dogs. Well one of the dogs decides to step on the trap i was setting a couple yards away as we were talking. We got him out of the trap pretty quick. He layed down for thirty seconds and was up and running around again. Farmer wasn't to upset either. more worried bout me cause the dog bit me pretty good when i reached down for the trap. I am probably hurting more than the dog right now. Trap was an MB550 too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page