How to make good coyote/fox/coon bait?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

How to make good coyote/fox/coon bait??

This is my first year trapping, I'm actualy picking up my traps and stretchers this evening from my uncle. Trying to figure out what else I need to make this happen?? Also I want to make some bait, any recipes for some good bait? Thanks

2011 Pse xforce vendetta XS
2010 Mathews hyperlite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to make good coyote/fox/coon bait??

for coon you can mix up some jack mackerel/ marshmallows/fish oil/ syrup/ jelly, etc. Works great and they love it. or just use jack mackeral works just as good alone. for fox and coyote I make a bait with tainted beaver meat and some castor. any ground meat with beaver castor would work good
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

As of now I only have traps, strechers, and some tools. Can you think of anything else I'm going to need?

2011 Pse xforce vendetta XS
2010 Mathews hyperlite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 11:44 PM

The only thing I can say is have fun with trapping. It is only my second year and I get very frusterated wondering why I am not catching anything. I see the pics of all the guys on here whom are catching yotes and fox nightly. Then I remember that I have huge amounts to learn still. If you can find a experienced trapper who will work with you that would be priceless. Good Luck and Tight Chains.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 03:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had this 4oz jar of preserved smoked salmon I'd gotten from some trapping supplier as a free sample to see if foxes went for it ( it had been tested on coyotes and they seemed to like it). So I still had this jar with most of the bait still in it and still smelling good. I decided to divide it and use new smaller jars. In one jar I made coon bait- mixed some crawfish oil and some procoon( I think that's the stuff from Stef in Quebec)into it. The other jar I made as a fox/general k9 bait- added beaver oil ( which had rendered nicely in the summer heats of about 4 summers), and had an old 1oz of Paul Dobbins backbreaker that had dried out, and broke it up and mixed that in.

I have no idea how these will work. The coon one should work fine for coons. I plan to use it in some of my lil griz's. The k9 one I am hoping they will go for. If coyotes like smoked salmon why not foxes? And with beaver oil and castors added, you know they will like that. I wonder if mink might like both of them?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:07 PM
The Man

buy a couple bottles of proven lure to start out. you will be farther ahead. carmens, barrows, mark junes and morgans have done well for me.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Frequent Contributor

Stop by and I will review what you have and recommend what you still need. Also show you a few basic sets.

Home of the J Hook tool& Retrievable Cable Stake.
John 3:16, PTA Life 131N, NTA, OSTA, S.A. CSM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page