scent post set - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

scent post set

My dad said something to me about it and have herd of it but i do not now how to do. how many traps.what kind of urin.can some one help me.

reds-
grays-3
coons-1
possum-
coyotes-
beaver-
mink-
sunks-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 01:09 PM

Re: scent post set

got a dog? take'em out on the trapline,follow the dog.where it pee's,set a trap!
no dog? look for clumps of grass,rocks,anything that sticks out.bed your trap and give the "backing " a squirt of pee(red fox works for me).

this was on the side of a logging road.trap was set where that rock is now,pee was on the butte end of the log.

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 03:15 PM

thanks renny! i don't have many fields around me!

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The hay set is also a type of scent post set. You can use just red fox pee on top of the hay. If you have dogs, watch where they like to mark- mine always like marking anything new, such as you place a big rock, or a tree branch falls in a path. A slice of hay next to a fox pathway is something new to them.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 12:07 AM

i caught 2 yotes in the same hayset and had a few others skirt the set after that...i had them on a 3 days pattern like clock work...

the night they were due, was the last nite i was going to have sets out...i threw in a scent post with 2 traps gaurding it...i used a 3ft or so old tree limb...one with no bark and all old and dry but tough enough to stick into the mud a ways..i leaned it away from the traps (read to do that somewhere...) and put a squirt of urine on it and i think a dab of gland or call lure on it..

i made the set in the middle of the field just shy of the knoll where they were crossing the field...

1 night set and came to a fired trap..looked like a toe catch....i was bummed...

went to another set..it was a weird set i was experimenting with..it was a trench, dirt hole, hay set LOL..i kept getting rabbits firing the trap...well, that set had a rabbit leg and parts all over the place..yote or fox got the rabbit...went to my last hayset and sure enough i had the yote...and sure enough it was missing a toenail...99% sure it was the one i missed...

the set when i made it...

set the next day...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:38 AM

Try using it along with a hayset or dirthole set. Make your dirthole or hayset. The 10-15 yards away make a scent post. The theory is if you miss the critter on one set you might grab him with the second. Now also going with what foxtrapperwoman said. A hayset is like a scent post. When a critter is caught they pee in the catch circle. This means you don't have to relure your set. Simply remake the set and let your original lure/urine mix maturally with the smell/urnine of your dispatched critter. This saves and money, plus it works.

A government that doesn't trust it's law abidding citizens to bear arms is unworthy of trust itself.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:32 AM
The Man

mauser, your second pic looks like a deer fired trap to me

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 07:23 AM

i cant be certain bobcat...i couldnt find any tracks AT the set...only tracks coming towards it and leaving it were yote tracks...like clock work..came out of the hollow, through the field like always and continued on like always..just cant put it at the set for sure...and the one i caught on the next farm was almost surely caught by the toenail in a trap..

makes for a better story too missed the yote..he went and killed a rabbit that got caught in another set of mine and i caught him in my last set..lol

if i remember the day correctly, a deer would likely left more sign..even if it happened over night, the top layer of the ground remained mud..i think it may have rained over night..it was a muddy mess pulling my line that day and my last yote, even in the shadiest spot, was still fairly muddy..but, cant be sure..

for my learning, what makes that look like a deer?? not a toenail caught yote?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 08:24 PM
The Man

"what makes that look like a deer?? not a toenail caught yote?"

its not 100 % but alot of time those traps that are pulled straigt to the end of the chain with no sign of struggle at all are just deer. they step on the pan, the trap fires on there hoof and one jump back pulls them free leaving a sprug trap, no hair in the trap most times.
Esp. this time of year when bucks can't leave a bare spot in the ground along. kinda like checking scrapes.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page