Trapping Log 2011: First Season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Trapping Log 2011: First Season

I've always wanted to trap, but never had anyone to show me how. Last year I helped my friend Alex run a small beaver line close to campus, and it was a huge learning experience for both of us. Alex managed to get about a half a dozen beavers, and helping him fanned the flames and I decided I was going to trap this year.

Not having a vehicle on campus makes it had to trap, but running a line with Alex allows me to get out and makes things a bit easier on both of us due to school schedules.

I decided that I wasn't going to go into this season in a cheap manner and bought everything I could need ahead of time, read as much as I could in books, on HPA and Trapperman and felt like I had a good start on my first season trapping. A big thanks to the guys who have helped me out on here and on campus, one of the students here is also a HPA member. Thanks Jerry.

Once school started I did a bunch of scouting, and located some good muskrat habitat. Our schedules only allow for one line to be run at a time, and we figured that muskrats would be a good place to start.

I was counting down the days and soon it was October 25th, and New York's season would open at 7 am. We would run two lines at first, once which we could access from a short boat ride from campus, and I would check with Alex's roommate Josh. This was Josh's first season as well.

We rode in the small Jon boat in the early morning dawn and soon reached our first spot. It had some rat sign, but not as much as our second spot. It is one of those hidden in plain sight spots and we had hopes of getting one or two rats out of there.

Shortly after seven, we drove the first stake down into the soft marsh bottom and set the traps. About 15 traps in all and 4 out of my availible 7 muskrat traps.

Josh had a 9:30 class and we reached campus shortly before then. I loaded the boat back on the rack infront of my dorm and waiting until 2:30 when Alex and I would set our second line.

Alex and I set the second line that afternoon and had high hopes as the amount of sign had increased from when I last checked about a week before hand. I set my remaining three traps and Alex set a few dozen as well.

October 26, first check line 1

In the northern part of the state we are on a 48 hour trap check. Since we wanted to alternate lines every day, we needed to check today to get line one on the M,W,F and weekend check.

Our traps were all empty and I was a bit disappointed in the results, but held out hope for tomorrows check on line two.

October 27, First Check, Line Two

We motored into our second line and began checking. Alex's first few traps held nothing, and on the 4th trap, we had a nice rat in a 110.

A few more traps and we found a rat in one of my downing sets on a feed bed in a #1CS. The set had worked flawlessly and I was pretty excited.

Checking the last few traps we discoved another rat in Alex's trap. A 110 set on a run into a feed bed. Our total for the day was three muskrats.

Alex with a bit of muskrat love.

My first trapped animal, a nice muskrat

October 28th, Second Check, Line One
I had skipped class in the morning due to the storm coming and felt that it would be a great day to do some duck hunting, and we were right, the storm really had the ducks moving, and we got my roommate his first duck on his first hunting trip ever.

After the hunt, I went to my class and then paddled to line one to check traps. After the success on line two, I didn't have much confidence in line one, and decided that if we had no catches on this check, I would pull my traps and move them over to line two. I had nothing in my traps, and pulled to them, while Josh left his to sit for a the weekend.

October 29th, Second Check, Line two
We found ourselves checking a bit later in the afternoon after a morning of deer hunting and found a rat in a run set in a 110. However, a mink had wanted a snack and tore into Alex's rat leaving a nice hole.

We made a pocket set near this trap and baited it for the mink and had high hopes to see him there on Sunday morning.

The next trap in the line was mine and held a huge rat in a run set in a 110. This thing was a monster compared to what we had been catching before.

We stuck out a few more sets here, a bit further down than we had trapped before.

My second rat, what a porker

October 30th, Third Check, Line Two

We have to check both Saturday and Sunday in order to be able to check on Tuesday and Thursday and stay legal with our 48 hour check law, so back on the line we went that afternoon.

Our muskrat traps were all empty, and we were not too disappointed, it had only been one day.

Checking two of our new sets we had made, we were surprised to see a mink in a 110 in my muskrat run set.

A nice mink from our third set. My first mink ever.

November 1st, Fourth Check, Line two

Today was the opening day of our otter and beaver season.
We have a great beaver spot, but wanted to wait on that, as we already have traps in this area and wanted to try for the beavers we had here as well.

We set about a half a dozen beaver sets, with two of them being mine. Both were 330 sets on castor mounds that I had made.

While setting we ran into a few buddies who close to use and they had already got a beaver in a trap they had set this morning. A nice 45 pounder.

Our muskrat traps were empty and it was our first skunking on this line. We do have a good feeling about the beaver traps though, as we set on some really good sign.

Here are just a few random pictures.

Me fleshing a muskrat in the Fur Shed (Bathroom)

Trying to figure out how that thing works

A nice set for a rat, we came close to catching him, but I'm not sure if he likes pickles.

I'll update this throughout the season, and am looking forward to trapping PA during Thanksgiving and Christmas break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Trapping Log 2011: First Season

Awesome thread, congrats on ur rats and mink I'll be watching to see what else you get. Great job

2011 Pse xforce vendetta XS
2010 Mathews hyperlite
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

very nice journal cant wait to read more
congrats on the rats and mink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:41 PM

The fur shed (bathroom) is a new twist. Overcome improvize & adapt.

PSU '79, '82
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

good job guys, love the fur shed, how did skinning the mink go?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The mink skinning went awesome. Alex is from CO and has shot and packed out his fair share of animals, and is a master with the skinning knife. We did have to open the windows though, the smell nearly overtook us.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

LMAO good job
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Frequent Contributor

That is to funny. Fleshing room is to cool. Tell us what happens when the first girl opens up the fridge and sees a muskrat in there. Glad I did not trap when I was in College. There might not be room for the beer???
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

When we were fleshing out our first rats, the IT department lady showed up to work on the phones.

We asked if she was squeamish, and she said not at all, and ever gave us a few pointers on fleshing the critter. Turns out she traps as well.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

November Third, Line Two

This was the first day to check our beaver sets. We were both disipointed to see nothing in the sets and no fresh activty in the area. I feel that the warm weather had a lot to do with the lack of beaver movement, and we may have gotten most of the muskrats.

We decide that its time to head to our ace in the hole spot after one more check.

Saturday November 5th,

Alex picked me up around 11 and we had to pull traps and do it quick, as I was heading to Ottawa to catch the Sabres game with some friends.

We pulled traps rather quickly and it looked as if we were making the right choice. No catches again on this line, until our last trap, the 110 that caught the mink the week before, held a small muskrat. That brings me up to three muskrats on the year.

November 6th, Line three

After getting in late and Alex's deer hunting in the morning, we headed out to put our new line out for beaver and otter.

I only have two 330's since Alex really enjoys his beaver trapping, and due to the 330 restrictions in PA. I placed on 330 on a nice otter slide, and the other on a beaver slide, on which i made a castor mound and a bit of Craven's "Timber" castor lure.

I figured since we were going to be in the area, I would make the most of the other traps I had.

I set a pocket set in a small stream for otters or raccoon, and placed a blind set up stream a ways with a 110, in hopes of a mink. I had seen a few tracks in the area.

Near the edge of a beaver meadow, I put a dirthole for fox or coyote, and on the waters edge I placed a drowning dirthole for otter.

On the walk out, I made a cubbie set baited with a red squirrel we shot on the walk, and a flat set near a log, and one last dirt hole near the vehicle on some fox sign.

Alex and I had high expectations for this line, as he had out 9 330's and this pond had a good number of beaver and otter.

November 8th, First Check, Line three

Alex got out of Chem class early and we got a headstart on our check today.

My first dirt hole appeard to be all torn up from a distance, and I thought I made have had a pull out. Upon further inspection, I discovered a red squirrel caught by the back foot, and he was none to happy to be there. Alex and I carefully released the angry beast and he was on his way and appeared in good health.

My flat set was empty and we hit the split in the trail. Alex drops off the ridge and begins checking his traps as I work my way along the ridge to my cubbie set in the thick pines.

The cubbie set was empty as well, and I walked down to the beaver dam that seperated the two ponds.

All my sets here were empty, and also a few of Alex's that are close to mine.

My last check held this guy. My first beaver and a monster at that.

My back began to hurt as I thought about the long walk back to the truck. It is over three miles to where we parked, and I was not looking forward to the hike.

We got a few pictures back at the dorm.

Me and the beaver. I'm about 6'3, 280 lbs

Alex and I with the beaver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page