Too Early - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Too Early

I know that the season is upon us but if you could wait until the 2nd week of November the fur will be a little more prime. Fur prices look like they will be up somewhat this year so why not wait so that you will get more for your fur. Nothing like taking a big boar coon in and only getting $1.00 for it as it wasn't prime. Cold weather does not make the fur prime but the amount of daylight is what causes them to prime. Just as for the trees leaves turn not due to the temps but the amount of daylight. I also don't know about all but here the farmers don't have all there fields cut so you are at risk of traps getting ran over or cultivated under. Now instead of spending money on gas, lure, bait and your time you are now loosing equipment as well.
I know that it is hard and everyone has the itch but in the long run you will benefit from waiting. I know that what 2 more weeks going to do but it does do a lot. Just a thought and just my opinion.
Tight chains to all!!

Don't get me wrong I will be picking up any road kill that I come across.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Too Early

I took plenty of big boars last season during the first week that payed a lot more than a dollar

..sitting in a tent over decoys ain't turkey hunting...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

1 dollar was just a # I through out there. The point is if you would have waited you would have gotten more for those same coon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 12:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperspaz
1 dollar was just a # I through out there. The point is if you would have waited you would have gotten more for those same coon
...nope...landowner rules here...set traps opening day or he gets someone else to do it so if I had waited I would have lost money...Corn is up and being wrecked nightly by coons...They want them dead...

..sitting in a tent over decoys ain't turkey hunting...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

That's fine because the season is in so no harm no foul
Good luck and have a great season
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Since were throwing around thoughts I'll give you mine.....

I think you would be better off trying to get or teach folks to properly put up fur than to wait a few weeks. I attended quite a few fur sales last year and crappy handling caused alot smaller paydays than early caught fur.

My opinion of course..... but I also know what I got for some early caught fur from NEPA and it was more than what some got for theirs that was caught later in the season.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

I agree Renny,I seen alot of badly handled fur the last few years...We offer to show people how to put fur up and they all tell us the same thing year after year "they know how to put fur up right" and these are the same people that get mad at you because your fur brings better money then theirs
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 12:11 PM

I would love some tips on putting up fur. This is only my second year of trapping. I love tips and help that bring me more money.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renny28
Since were throwing around thoughts I'll give you mine.....

I think you would be better off trying to get or teach folks to properly put up fur than to wait a few weeks. I attended quite a few fur sales last year and crappy handling caused alot smaller paydays than early caught fur.

My opinion of course..... but I also know what I got for some early caught fur from NEPA and it was more than what some got for theirs that was caught later in the season.
Renny you hit the nail on the head with poor fur handling.I also seen some very bad furs at local sales.I like the diamond shaped beavers the best tho.

I'd like to see the season push back to nov 1st.Even then still a bit early..IMO...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Renny you are correct, last year I saw 25 prime coon come in but was worth only 1.00 each and that was being nice, guy thought he could stretch them to be XXXL for more money but he had them stretched and they look like mink, only 4-5" in width not sure what streachers he used but he was told what they should be so we will see this year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page