The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

What to do with lures after season

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  spurs 
#1 ·
What do you all do with your lures and scents after you done for the season? I have always just left them in my closet in the garage. Should I be freezing them or leaving them out a better option?

#2 ·
Cool dark place, like a basement. Gargae can get pretty hot in the summer.
Store lure in a box. This keeps them together and keeps 'em from falling, rolling all over the place.

I have a fridge in my fur shed. Lure boxed up and stored in fridge. Urine also goes in fridge & freezer.
Button Font Collection Fashion accessory Circle

#4 ·
I thought it was my imagination....I had a 4 oz bottle of Gusto ( about 1 oz left) opened from the 2018-19 season. When compared to a newly opened bottle of Gusto, it wasn’t nearly as loud. I store unopened bottles in the fridge in the garage, opened bottles, I put in a gallon plastic jar and bury it in my beeyard. The electric fence keeps critters from digging it up.

#5 ·
Here is something that will save time and a lot of cussing.Take a couple minutes and open each bottle of lure before you put it away for the season. Take a damp cloth and wipe off the bottle and the inside of the lid. Take a little dab of vasaline and wipe on the bottle top then put the cap on. Next year when you try to get the cap off you will appreciate the extra time you took to do this.How many of you guys have tried to get the cap off of an opened lure bottle and it wouldn't budge. Problem is that a lot of lure is put up with a lot of salt or something like that that is corrosive and that rusts the metal cap.The vasaline will keep the corrosion down and lubricate the threads. This won't make the bottle air tight but it also helps seal a bit of the air out of the bottle.

#6 ·
Couple things you can do to help your lure from loosing it's strength over the summer. You can wrap about two layers of electrical tape tightly around the bottle over the cap. Make sure the bottle is cleaned off or the tape won't stick. You can melt a little trap wax in a can and dip the bottles in to just below the cap. If you don't have an old refrigerator to store it in put it somewhere where it will stay cool and in the dark.( The basement isn't a good idea cause if something happens and something get broken the boss won't be a happy camper). Another solution is to bury it in a plastic container . Only needs to be about a foot deep,somewhere on the north side on the house where there is a lot of shade.Thing you are trying to do is keep the lure cool and prevent a lot of temperature change (getting hot then cooling off) Make sure to set something heavy on your lure cause if your dog digs it up bad things will happen!

#9 ·
mine go in a 8x10 shed, 2nd shelf on a 3 shelf cabinet.no sunlight unless the door is open.
what I hate is when the metal caps rust off! or the inks evaporates off the labels! or the caps rust on so tight you can't open them! it's a conspiracy to get you to buy new lures every year!

#11 ·
Another tip I can offer. As soon as you get your lure home put a piece of scotch tape over the whole label. Most of the labels aren't waterproof and the ink will disappear quickly. One more is to take an indelible ink marker and write the initials of the kind of lure or brand on the bottle cap. After you do that put a piece of tape on the cap over your initials. Even though the pens are supposed to be permanent they are not..Putting the initials on the bottle cap keeps you from having to pull all the lures out to see what is in them. Sometimes these small things help keep the frustration level down a bit.Ask Hern ,after playing with this stuff for fifty or sixty years you do figure out a thing or two.Maybe even three.Have fun folks, the ride isn't as long as it used to be!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.