The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Problem Solving, lets talk...

3K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  PA Hunter/Trapper 
#1 ·
Since I'm laid up for awhile...and can finally sit at computer...
Let's hear some problems you are having this season or in the pass. Maybe we can help one another work through some situations that arise on the trap line (land or water).
Any one can chime in...

#2 ·
I haven’t started yet, waiting until rifle season is over. My only problem so far is my best farm for foxes is gone, it will be a housing development now. Aside from that I’m excited to get started. I am going to try to target grey fox this season in some new spots. Any tips or tricks, or things that should be done differently opposed to field sets, where I catch reds and coyotes but not many greys?

#7 ·
Like someone said I’m not starting to trap until next week after deer season. Can’t wait to get out there, hope you’re getting better Hern! I might even trap for coon, haven’t done that in a while

Reactions: bohunr
#11 · (Edited)
Heres a red fox I caught 2 days ago in a blind set crossing a beaver dam. Had a trap bedded in front of that green grass clump with cut up fine grass covering it. If you look close in pic you'll see my black snips handle sticking out and trap was bedded right in front of that grass clump, no bait or lure. Almost pulled it cause deer kept setting trap off but i stayed consistent and kept resetting and it paid off! He was buried in trap like they usually are in blind set cause there so committed.

Attachments

#32 ·
PAHunter/Trapper, is that legal for fox? In the book under beaver and otter is says it is unlawful to place, check, reset or tend a trap or snare on an established beaver dam or beaver house, or within 15 feet of a dam or house. It's seems like a grey area. The reason I ask is I found 3 dams like that with bobcats and coyotes crossing frequently and I'd like to set it come Saturday if legal of course.

#12 ·
Just my opinion,Log crossing are cool sets, but I sorta got away from them. One reason is I only have 1 trap at this location. Squirrels will clog trap for a few days.
Nowadays, I will set one or both ends of the log on land. Usually 2-4 flashy dirtholes and/or blind set or two will take Coon, Fox, Mink, Fisher or Bobcats.
Setting on land at end of log produces fur faster and produces more animals for me.
Another note here, Not all logs are furbearer crossings.

PA Hunter/Trapper- that's a classic blind set

#14 ·
Another note here, Not all logs are furbearer crossings.

Your a 100% right on that Hern. But if you find the right one it can be a fur producing highway!

I also love blind sets for K9's. I'm always looking for the perfect blind set location. You never get a more committed K9 and it's an awesome feeling with no bait or lure down and you make a catch just using your woodsman skills!!

#17 ·
Tending traps
One problem I've seen repeated over the years is tending traps.
I've seen many land & water sets sprung and not reset for days. I've done this when I was young, being in a hurry to get to school or work. As I got older I found myself being lazy once in awhile and not resetting a sprung trap.
I've rode with and taken lessons from many pro's. One thing stood out, they always took the time to remake a sprung trap or adjust a water trap for rising/falling water.
We as part timers or hobby trappers can take bits & pieces from a pro trap line. Resetting or readjusting traps each day will pay off.
Allow more time before/after work or school to tend traps properly. Keeping sets in working order is key to success.

#22 ·
My theory on this is, if it isn't set it won't catch anything. So I remake all sprung traps.
I take the time to prepare the 3 dozen traps I use in the off season and I wanna have them all functioning as much as possible. We all put hard work into getting ready and setting them so why let them sit not in use.
Just my opinion.

#24 ·
Tire set can work but not full proof. I always evaluate the amount of cow pies at the location I want to set. More pies more time spent there. Also using a low stink bait will help some. I love beef, cows not so much. Just outside the fence can be very good.

#23 ·
I was planning on making my first sets yesterday, but held off due to the weather today. Last year I used used an old tarp that I cut into squares to cover some of my sets, weighed down with rocks. Worked well, but I figured no point in making sets yesterday only to have to cover them immediately. I’m really excited to get started now though, running my little trap line quickly became one of my favorite parts of the season.

#31 ·
Put a couple sets along your creek were you see him frequent the most. Shouldn't be to hard to catch if your seeing him as much as you are. Even a small cage trap by your barn with part of your already killed chicken carcass in the back. Just make it look appealing for the mink to enter cage trap.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.