Problem Solving, lets talk... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Problem Solving, lets talk...

Since I'm laid up for awhile...and can finally sit at computer...
Let's hear some problems you are having this season or in the pass. Maybe we can help one another work through some situations that arise on the trap line (land or water).
Any one can chime in...
Mikeymjr23 and ruger300 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 09:12 AM

I haven’t started yet, waiting until rifle season is over. My only problem so far is my best farm for foxes is gone, it will be a housing development now. Aside from that I’m excited to get started. I am going to try to target grey fox this season in some new spots. Any tips or tricks, or things that should be done differently opposed to field sets, where I catch reds and coyotes but not many greys?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not a problem but a question. I have some wolf fang anchors. Will the cable used for cable restraints be strong enough to use to hold a coyote or bobcat attached to a trap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 01:21 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyb1815 View Post
I haven’t started yet, waiting until rifle season is over. My only problem so far is my best farm for foxes is gone, it will be a housing development now. Aside from that I’m excited to get started. I am going to try to target grey fox this season in some new spots. Any tips or tricks, or things that should be done differently opposed to field sets, where I catch reds and coyotes but not many greys?
I feel for you man!!! Watched a bunch of housing developments over the years destroy my trapping grounds!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
I caught a grey this morning. I noticed this one ran on logs to get around as grey foxes do. I cut a trap bed in the log with my hatchet and put down one of my 1 1/2 mink traps on a drag and covered with a little moss. I put a stick with mink gland under a leaf above the trap. You can see the leaf in the remake that hides the stick. It was still there after the catch. I probably didn't need it but I figured it would hold him there longer. I always miss grey foxes in my coyote sets so my advice is us backing, blocking, and guiding. Don't overlook log crossings. Use small traps for grey fox also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191212_105145_1576174109374.jpg (1.17 MB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20191212_110225_1576176455015.jpg (1.28 MB, 34 views)
bohunr likes this.

Last edited by TrapDoc57; 12-12-2019 at 02:57 PM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 02:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

welcome back Hern , glad to see you`re boing better and stating to get around
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Like someone said I’m not starting to trap until next week after deer season. Can’t wait to get out there, hope you’re getting better Hern! I might even trap for coon, haven’t done that in a while
bohunr likes this.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
Not a problem but a question. I have some wolf fang anchors. Will the cable used for cable restraints be strong enough to use to hold a coyote or bobcat attached to a trap?
Yes.
This late summer, I made 400 cable anchors for a guy. I used 7x7 cable, which most Pa. CR's are made of.
cable swagger.jpg
limbhnger10 and Laylow like this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 07:17 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapDoc57 View Post
Quote:
I caught a grey this morning. I noticed this one ran on logs to get around as grey foxes do. I cut a trap bed in the log with my hatchet and put down one of my 1 1/2 mink traps on a drag and covered with a little moss. I put a stick with mink gland under a leaf above the trap. You can see the leaf in the remake that hides the stick. It was still there after the catch. I probably didn't need it but I figured it would hold him there longer. I always miss grey foxes in my coyote sets so my advice is us backing, blocking, and guiding. Don't overlook log crossings. Use small traps for grey fox also.
I love blinds sets on log crossings or any type of animal bridge. Heres a coon I caught last week in a blind set on a log crossing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191125_155011(0)_1576235580891.jpg (1.26 MB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20191125_154820_1576235609588.jpg (1.35 MB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20191125_153910_1576235634827.jpg (1.26 MB, 28 views)
limbhnger10 likes this.

Last edited by PA Hunter/Trapper; 12-13-2019 at 09:13 AM.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
I am going to try to target grey fox this season in some new spots. Any tips or tricks, or things that should be done differently opposed to field sets, where I catch reds and coyotes but not many greys?
Good answer TrapDoc
TrapDoc answered- my advice is use backing, blocking, and guiding. Don't overlook log crossings. Use small traps for grey fox also.

Last edited by Hern; 12-13-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page