The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Catch pictures

12K views 114 replies 27 participants last post by  NorthernPotterCo 
#1 ·
I caught two red foxes and a grinner today. I'm up to 8 grinners, 6 coon, 2 reds, and a skunk. All I am set for is coyote but everything else gets to the sets first. Canidae Grass Dog Soil Fawn

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I let most of the animals go. The farmers want me to harvest the coons in some locations. I'm making a hat out of one. The fur was nice but the leather is slate colored. Same with the bigger male fox from yesterday. I wanted to let him go but I saw a little blood on his foot and he wouldn't cooperate. It's not worth getting bit. Is it possible to rub some antiseptic ointment on a minor cut if I want to let an animal go in that circumstance? I wouldn't want the animal to suffer so I just harvest them when it happens and will keep doing so. I know animals get cuts and bites in the wild so he probably would have made it. I need to laminate the dukes that I use in theft areas. I didn't think it was necessary because I have even caught a female fisher by the back foot with the same trap and it didnt break the skin. All I got was a grinner today. Tonight should be a good night.

#8 ·
Had a good check today. My first 2 coyote day. The Duke 550 held this big alpha male. His foot was still on the pan and the underall was still under it. It's the prettiest coyote I've ever seen. The farmer was happy I got him. I had a baited set that they would only poop by so I bedded a trap on a high spot in an old tractor rut in wax dirt a week or more ago. The end of check picture shows some extremes in color for both species.

Attachments

#13 ·
Thanks for the positive replies guys. Hern, I don't have a scale but the big coon felt like it was 30 pounds after the 200 yard walk. Might be my biggest ever. I wish all the coyotes looked like that first one but it's probably one in a million for PA. Everyday is really something on the trap line. Today was very special. I can't wait to check in the morning. I'm going to the new beaver gun bash tomorrow. Let me know if any of you will be there. I don't know enough local trappers.

#15 ·
I caught another young female this morning.

Hern, there is a Dutch Ridge Road about 20 minutes north of the one you speak of.
My dad was raised on that road and my grandma lived there until 2 years ago. The house sold not long ago. Anyhow, that is where I learned to hunt and trap from the time I went on my junior squirrel hunt when I was 11 until I trapped my first grey fox always walking from grandma's house down the hollow.

Attachments

#16 ·
My sister lived outside Beaver, off Dutch Ridge Road.
I would visit for a week or more and take her young sons and set a few traps for a week or so.
They took to trapping quickly. Then sports, girls, college, military and marriage got in their way.
The oldest son moved to my area several years ago. This season, he ask to run a trap line with me. I was happy. He said he missed trapping.
We are having a blast each morning, since he's working second shift. And now take his kids with us on weekends.

#17 ·
Hern, I hope you are enjoying your time with your son and grandkids. It's been 17 or 18 years since I've had my dad on the line. Never enough time. My nieces are old enough now so I better get them out on the line.
I pulled almost all my traps and I'm going to move north for my next little line before gun season. My landlord is taking me to his farm today. It's supposed to be loaded with yotes. Here are some put up pictures. This is the last yote I got and the fox and blondish coon. I know I didn't scrape the coon to good cause it was midnight and my arms and stomach were sore from skinning and fleshing. It's going in the pickle later and will get thinned before I neutralize and tan it. Also, pictured is the Beaver I just tanned that will be hooped. I didn't break it so it's flat and a little stiff for this application. The other picture is my little fur working corner. You can see the hats that I'm finishing up for the kids. One wanted a Daniel Boone and the other a Davy Crockett. I need to make 3 more coonskin hats and a fox one for my Mom. I'm thinking maybe a beaver hat or mitten out of the kit on my grandma's sewing machine.

#20 ·
Cool hats. Do you line them with felt or silk?

I gotta say this- on Red Fox (and other fur) place the belly board the other way. From nose to tail. You want the widest part in neck shoulder area.
By that, The neck is the narrowest part of an animal. So you want the widest part of the wedge there so pelt get air to dry and helps to comes off board easy.

#21 ·
Picked up another yote today in a pipe set with my beaver meat bait and fish juice I made. Held it in an mb450. Same set I got that black coon and a fox and grinner.
The last yote I had in a 450 rung out while I was walking up to it. It was a red one too.
Hern, I did read that it was your nephew. Sorry about that. I'm glad you guys are enjoying your time together. I lined the hats with old shirts that I cut up. Not t shirts but sweat shirts and old button up shirts. I got some free felt like material from a flea market that I'm going to try with my mom's fox hat. I'm making hers without a tail and my girlfriend wants a fox hoody. The hand pocket and hood will be fox fur. I might do a fox face on the hood or maybe just the ears. Also, my belly boards are not wedges. They are the same thickness end to end but it's what I got. I use some dowel rods too. Anything to keep those furs from getting stuck. I broke a board before doing the smack the nose on a concrete floor thing to get a stuck fisher off a board that should have been cut a little smaller in hindsight.

Attachments

#23 ·
I got this female at the same farm as the male from yesterday. The set was within 200 yards of 3 houses. The neighbors complained to the farmer so the guy across the street shot it. I was hoping for a catch picture of this spot. I put the set in the first day of the season and never had to rebed it because it never made a catch. I had a charred piece of wood with fish juice on it and yodel dog under it about 8 inches from the trap. Then I made the other 3 sides of an 8 inch square with cat poop, yote poop, and finally deer poop. A yote left the scat 15 feet from the set and I just moved it and some local deer droppings. I've been using a lot of cat turds at sets too.

Attachments

#25 ·
I sell some and keep some. I sold one of my tanned coyotes for 80 bucks. I am sitting on a bunch of fur to make hats and mittens and I want to tan a bunch of wall hangers for gifts and to sell. I tanned most of what i caught last year. It wasn't much because I poured 30,000 yards of concrete last year. I only got 6 coyotes and I have 5 already this year. I'm hoping to sell some to Groenewald as well. I should have enough together to make it worth it. I have a bunch of nafa bags but I won't be needing them. They work good for hanging dry grass clippings in.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.