Fox Fur Mittens - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Andrew C.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Fox Fur Mittens

I had 2 prime red fox from cable season that I wanted to try to tan myself. I also had always wanted to make something out of my fur. I had been planning to try that orange bottle solution, but a friend recommended me to use Tru Bond Tanning products. He said that the Tru Bond stuff was superior in its acid pickling step, and that it would last longer and remain preserved even if it got wet. I bought Kit B. I stumbled upon a series of Youtube videos from a channel called Sask Hunting (
). The man had made a pretty cool pair of coyote mittens. I was able to follow the pattern construction closely and make my own. It was a very interesting experience creating these mittens from the fox to finished product. I thought it would be neat to post a bunch of the photos during the process and add some helpful notes and tips that I came across during the tanning and making of the mittens, so that anyone else here looking to beat the low fur prices can do it. Post question if you would like more info.
Tanning Notes:
- I did not need to salt the hides before rehydration, as the furs had already been skinned, stretched, and dried as if to be sold to the fur market.
- I used about 4 gallons of water for each step of the process.
- Instructions are pretty easy to follow.
- It was semi-demanding in terms of time with stirring and moving to the next steps.
- Prepare for $11.00 shipping charge.
- The finished tanned foxes turned out very well and I am planning to do this to some more fur this season.
Mitten Materials:
- I got the leather at a local harness shop that makes leather horse and cattle products. I made sure the finished side faced in. It looks best this way.
- I got standard brown fleece in a small clearance bundle at Joanneís fabric store.
- Barge glue had to be ordered on Amazon. I was not able to find it in a retail store.
- About the Barges Glue:
o Instructions are easy to follow.
o Notice that I carefully marked where. each spot of glue would line up before actually applying any glue.
o Once the two pieces touch, THATíS IT, so make sure you are careful to get it lined up.
o I applied it with a popsicle stick only on the Xís, and then used the extra in the tube to connect the Xís until I ran out. I read that leaving a bit in the tube for any next step is futile as it will set up inside the tube anyways.
o I weighted the pieces down for about a half hour, then put in front of a fan overnight to cure.
o Creates a strong bond and remains totally flexible.
- The speedy stitcher comes with plenty of thread for this project and I didnít even need to reload the bobbin.
Layout:
- If there is any interest, I would be willing to label my patterns with clear measurements so that someone could recreate them if they are not able to follow the video that I mentioned from Sask Hunting.
- Use a utility knife with new blade to cut the leather and fur.
- CAREFUL Ė the patterns need to be labeled so that when you cut out your pieces you have equal rights and lefts. Basically, trace each pattern facing up, and facing down.
- I made a few mistakes pressing too hard when cutting out the fox pieces, as any slight pressure can slice the long guard hairs underneath. ONLY cut the hide/leather by applying tension to the skin with your fingers instead of downward pressure.
- I glued the fleece to the entire fox hide first, then cut it out. That way if I was off a bit, at least there was still fur behind it.
Sewing
- Clothespins help a lot to test fit, and to hold things will tracing or sewing.
- Donít sew the pieces in one long strand on one side and then go to the other. It will ultimately lose square and wonít line up. Sew moderate lengths on each side, alternating.
- When tying off the thread, use the need to pull both tag ends to the interior of the seam.
- Use clear nail polish or something to hold the square nots used to tie off the thread and keep from fraying.
- Apply some water with your fingers to the fur fibers to ensure that they all stay tucked inside while you sew the mitts together.
- To sew the two halves together, it took about 2-2.5 hrs per mitten.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]http://[URL=http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/willneverfindavailableusername/media/IMG_5087_zps1e8ca9fm.jpg.html]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:43 PM
The Man

Neat!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That's a nice job. I always wanted to make a muskrat or beaver trappers hat. Now you have me thinking again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page