Bare naked beaver trapping - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Bare naked beaver trapping

(Beaver was tangled on tree on left side of pic. Big beaver is the one on left side.)

I set a new area yesterday morning....never trapped this watershed. I was given directions where to go, and was told there was a dam across a large swamp. It was a pretty good hoof upstream, maybe 3/4 mile, but I did find the spot. Not a lot of sign, but the dam was well maintained, so I ended up setting 5 traps. All #4 double coils on slide cables/ with rock sacks.

I hiked up this morning but was kinda disappointed,as the temperature was 21 degrees and the swamp was covered in a thin layer of ice. It’s hard to make a catch in a foothold when they’re laying under 1/4 ice. The first two traps were undisturbed, and I busted up the ice in the area around the trap. To my surprise, the next two traps were both gone from their beds, and when I pulled in the cables, both had 2 1/2 year olds in the traps. I walked up to the last set and noticed that that trap was also gone. I started tugging on the 1/8 inch cable, but nothing was moving. After about 10 minutes of yanking on the cable, I made two observations.....#1. There definately was a beaver in the trap, an a big one at that. #2 The beaver was hopelessly tangled on a fallen tree in 3 1/2 feet of water.

I debated my options....leave him there till tomorrow and bring a saw to cut the tree free. Or wade out and free it today. I didn’t want to leave the beaver in the trap, because this time of year other beavers want to take a whack out of their dead brethren’s backside when they come across them. I had only knee high boots on, but I wanted this beaver....so I stripped down to my birthday suit and waded out. The water was a little over waiste high. Surprisingly, the water didn’t seem as bad as I thought it would. I couldn’t untangle the cable, but was able to get the beaver’s hind foot out of the #4. I released the sack, and then was able to unwrap the slider from the tree.

I got back to shore and dried off with a towel I had in my pack basket. I lugged the two smallest beavers back to the car, and made another trip with the bigger beaver (54 lb). That warmed me up. All in all, a memorable morning for sure.

Last edited by Bigbrownie; 03-19-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

LOL, that will be a day remembered. You are a true beaver trapper.

I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:07 AM
The Man

Fun Fun Fun

Did you re-set that spot?

Don't you use an Otter or other type of sled (even on dry land)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

Wait......naked pics or it didn't happen!!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

You’re hard core!! lol
Steeltrap likes this.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hern View Post
Fun Fun Fun

Did you re-set that spot?

Don't you use an Otter or other type of sled (even on dry land)?
I added more weight to the bag, and did reset it in same spot. I had a 2 1/2 year old there this morning, and another one in a set 30 yards away. The added weight did the trick, and this beaver came out without any excitement.

I have 3 different sleds, but I donít mind packing out beaver. Iíve had to make 2 trips back a couple of times this year...but Iím retired with nothing but time, so Iím in no hurry. Good exercise.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:49 PM
Part of the Community

"I released the sack, and then was able to unwrap the slider from the tree."

If I ventured into that cold water I would still be waiting for mine to release!!!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:38 PM

I bet next time you will look to see if they can tangle in something.Good on you for going in for the beaver.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You get any beaver fleas on you? Bet your itching after I sad that.. Nice going.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
You get any beaver fleas on you? Bet your itching after I sad that.. Nice going.
Laylow....funny you mentioned fleas. Normally beavers seemed to be covered in them. I caught and skinned the first 24, never saw a single flea. This week, the five I skinned were crawling with them. I mean Iíd have a half a dozen on my hands before I made the belly cut. I had to spray them with permethrin and leave them in a garbage bag for an hour. I donít know if itís the warmer weather or a new location....but the fleas were nasty.
Laylow likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page