18Likes
  • 11 Post By Bigbrownie
  • 2 Post By Woods walker
  • 4 Post By Bigbrownie
  • 1 Post By cooncrazy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Heres why you canít trap on exposed bait

I have been dumping beaver carcasses in the woods behind my house. I set out a trail camera to see what would hit them.Every meat eating critter loves beaver, everything from jays to coyotes. I had all three canines types, coons, possums, crows and jays show up. I went to throw another beaver on the pile today ( itís only 80 yards from the house), and saw some big, fresh bird tracks. After looking at the memory card, I saw he came to feed the last three days. Iíd never seen an eagle at the house, but have saw them 5 miles down the road at a reservoir.

When the PGC outlawed exposed trapping bait, most folks probably were thinking hawks and owls. I know I never would have thought to see an eagle here on the edge of the yard. I moved the camera to get a better angle of the beaver pile, hopefully I get some better pics this week.
Hern, bohunr, loridr and 8 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:11 PM

Nice picture.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:15 PM
Sage

In November I was on my way from my home to a little town called East Petersburg to buy a small upright freezer to put my elk meat in that would not fit in my large freezer. I was less than a mile out of town when I saw something white in a field, less than 19 yards off the road. As I got closer, I saw it was a mature bald eagle sitting on a fox carcass and eating it. I stopped in the road as there was no one behind me and wached it until it decided it didnlt want to be watched and it flew parallel with the road at my truck window height for about an eighth of a mile where there was a barn. I purchased the freezer and on my return trip, I saw the eagle was back on the carcass. I have seen a lot of bald eagles where I live and on the Chesapeake bay but this is as close as I have ever been to one.
bohunr and Bigbrownie like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice picture!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Hereís a side angle. The eagle is standing on top of the beaver pile. Unfortunately , after the pile got ate at for a while, the pile got lower and the last 3 days when it showed all it had was the eagleís head in the picture. The camera slipped on the tree it was set on and was getting pics above the pile.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:42 PM

I caught one bagging a young groundhog this spring. stopped the truck and got a short video of it flying off with it.
Bigbrownie likes this.

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page