Any leads on some waxed dirt? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Any leads on some waxed dirt?

Weíre almost out of waxed dirt. Anybody know where to get some (we live near York, PA but willing to travel) or some alternatives to get us through until the end of the season. Iíve used peat moss and buckwheat hulls last year without a lot of success.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 02:46 PM
Sage

I suspect some of the trappers on here such as Hern have made are are making their own. Why don't you asked them. I am sure it would be cheaper than buying it, paraffin is not expensive.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 03:24 PM
Part of the Community

i been using salted screened wood mulch but not much success lately.
and i ran out of salt!
I can only offer advice of ordering it online but it certainly is good posting this as someone close may be able to help!

i am planning on using waxed dirt next year and may i ask how it is working for you? i can only assume well as you are looking for more?

any pros or cons?

since you are likely near me

A "clip" is a clip, aka Def: a device, typically flexible or worked by a spring, for holding an object or objects together or in place.
a "Magazine" is a magazine aka Def: a chamber for holding a supply of cartridges to be fed automatically to the breech of a gun.

so a "clip" holds the "magazine" in place. get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:03 PM
Regular Visitor

Once you use wax dirt you'll never turn back! Once freeze thaw conditions start all my sets are bedded and covered in either wax dirt or cut up fine field grass. I've tried the bone dry peat moss and cover hulls and both are ok but can only withstand so much moisture and eventually fail. As long as you keep ice and crust layer of snow of your wax dirt sets they are firing!!! Once I started using wax dirt the only remakes I was making was after catches!! It saves you so much time and gives you peace of mind that your sets are always working and I wouldn't trap with out it!
cooncrazy and 300 Norma Mag like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:43 PM

I make mine in the summer. I buy 1-2 tons of screened top soil at the gravel yard. i run it thru a homemade sifter and make a separate pile. wife usually steals half of it, so she can get the unsifted pile. i use aluminum pans ( got at a auction, there about 18x24x4"deep.) place dirt in the pan and place a old window over it. the sun will cook the moisture out, you'll see it on the glass. when dry add the wax. leave the glass on, it will start looking "wet". mix and add more wax if needed. I go by looks, add a little at a time. when done, I place in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. i got some 1 gallon mayo jugs from a restaurant I transfer the dirt into for carrying to the set. I get about 5-6 sets per gallon.

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the quick replies. I agree with PA Hunter/Trapper... this is our second serious season of trapping and once my daughter and I tried wax dirt it was a night and day difference. We only trap after late archery/muzzleloader season here in PA so we are dealing with freeze and thaw conditions. The waxed dirt keeps the traps running. We mix in dried peat moss and if we mix too much we have frozen trap pancakes. I read a bunch about making waxed dirt at home and we will definitely be making our own waxed dirt for next season. In the meantime, Iím picking up two bales of orchard grass hay and we are going to try the hay sets and see how we do with those until the end of the season. Thanks again for the quick replies. Hope you guys are having great trapping seasons too.
300 Norma Mag likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:21 AM
Regular Visitor

For the small amount of time it takes me during the summer to dig dirt, dry the dirt and wax it saves me countless hours and time on the trapline. I have a little table I built to dry and wax the dirt but just as easy to do on a tarp on the ground. Once you have your dirt sifted and dried lay it out on the tarp mix the wax and let the sun do the work for you. Just make sure its mixed well and completely dried and cooled down before you store it.

If you have a wood stove get some cheap foil baking pans put on top of woodstove and melt wax in dirt that way. Works great for this time of year if you run out of wax dirt and have some dry dirt to wax.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Awesome... thanks for the tips. How do you determine how much wax to mix and when itís ready or finished?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 07:30 AM

I make my waxed dirt in the turkey fryer. I put about 4-5 inches of dirt in the fryer pot and turn the turkey fryer on. If there is still moisture in your dirt you will see the steam coming off the dirt as it starts to dry. Keep stirring your dirt. Once all the steam is gone you will see your dirt is now dry. I then start sprinkling flake wax in the dirt and start stirring. You will start to see the color of the dirt change as the wax melts into it. Once I feel I have enough wax to the dirt. I dump what I just cooked into an ash can to let it cool. When it is in the ash can keep stirring the dirt until it cools down so it doesn't harden into a rock as the wax cools down. (did that before when I used too much wax). I have no exact formula for how much wax I put in each batch, just what I feel is right. When done grab a handful of dirt and run water over it. The water should bead up and run right off the dirt. Repeat process until you have the amount of waxed dirt you need for the season. I do find I have to spend a little more time in how I bed my traps that makes me happy, as there is no moisture left in the dirt and it is a little harder packing the dirt around the trap jaws. I dont like any movement in my trap bed so I just spend more tome to make sure I am bedded solidly.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:06 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm31 View Post
Awesome... thanks for the tips. How do you determine how much wax to mix and when it’s ready or finished?
2-3(3/4 of a pound) cups of flake wax to a gallon of dirt. If you go to Minnesota trapline website they have instructions on how to make wax dirt. Some soil requires more wax so you just have to play around until you get the right combo. As stated before you can test it when done to make sure its water proof.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page