Trap tags - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Trap tags

Well we are planning our beaver fever week and a question came up. A friend and I are going to trap a stream. He'll trap from the road north I'll go south. He has to leave for a day or so then return. I know a trap has to be tagged and checked by owner. Can a trap have two tags on it? His and mine so I can check his and he can check mine? Or does he have to pull his?
We both have ID numbered tags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 06:12 AM

If you both have a written permission slip from each other there should be no issues. I once called the WCO in the area we were setting and explained and asked his thoughts on it. He was fine with the written permission.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 07:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Feroce View Post
If you both have a written permission slip from each other there should be no issues. I once called the WCO in the area we were setting and explained and asked his thoughts on it. He was fine with the written permission.

What Kip said works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 06:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

So in the instance of a fisher or cat (tag required) can you tag an animal caught from a trap you didn't set, just checked?
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffedG View Post
So in the instance of a fisher or cat (tag required) can you tag an animal caught from a trap you didn't set, just checked?

I would think not.

You can give someone permission to visually check the sets and up keep them,but I would think in this case the tag holder would have to tag the animal. IMO

I would imagine that there are a lot of angles and scenarios one could come up with for this..
300 Norma Mag likes this.
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:22 PM

I can see some problems here. Let’s say me and the wife are licensed, and are going to trap beaver together. By law, we can each set 10 traps. We put 2 tags on 20 traps and set them. She gets bored after a day or two, and I am now running a 20 trap line for beaver. Some might use this to skirt the beaver regs limiting one to 10 traps. By the same logic, could you put 3 tags on a trap? Now you’re up to 30 traps.
300 Norma Mag likes this.
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is no regulation saying that you can't tag a legally caught fisher or cat from somebody else's trap with their permission. Lots of guys trap with a partner.

I was told locally that I can give permission or ask for a second party to check and tend my traps as long as they are a licensed trapper themselves. I was never told I needed two trap tags or anything in writing.
chilli likes this.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:04 PM

From the digest....

When trapping in multiple WMUs, a trapper may set or tend up to 10 traps, up to 20 snares, and not more than a total of 20 devices statewide.

I think the word “ tend” would limit one from checking another’s traps.

Now, if the two trappers had each only set 5 traps, for a total of 10, I could see it being legal to tend his traps.

Last edited by Bigbrownie; 01-02-2019 at 07:20 PM.
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 07:47 PM
New Arrival

I think that, like many game commission laws, it is up to the game warden's discretion at the time. I would agree that giving someone permission to check your traps should be sufficient. If you are sick and can't leave your bed, how would you do the required checks. Last year I had some of my sons traps in my procession. Game Warden told me we could not check each others traps unless we had both name tags on each trap.

As far as being able to carry someone's tag while you are checking their traps could be a problem. I think that I read on this forum where a father was arrested because he had his mentor youth son's license in his wallet.

When I have a question, I usually email the Game Commission office and they respond with their answer. This should trump any field officers descrecion in the field.

I respect the game commission and their officers, but some of the game laws need to be clarified.
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
From the digest....

When trapping in multiple WMUs, a trapper may set or tend up to 10 traps, up to 20 snares, and not more than a total of 20 devices statewide.

I think the word “ tend” would limit one from checking another’s traps.

Now, if the two trappers had each only set 5 traps, for a total of 10, I could see it being legal to tend his traps.
I'm trying my hand at trapping- so sorry if this is a dumb question- I read this rule, and it was under the "beaver" trapping section. Does this also apply to dirt sets for racoons, fox, etc?

Wishing I was at camp!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page