Rain and Traps - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Rain and Traps

How many of you trappers cover traps if calling for heavy rains ? Pros and Cons to doing so ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 05:47 AM
The Man

When I'm working a short Canine line, I cover sets with half piece of shingle or pre-cut plywood. Been covering the past two months.
Covers work when very deep snowfall is in the forecast, as well.

Downside, you will not have a chance to catch that night. Once in awhile there will be droppings on cover.
Upside, you will be back in action quickly with a little dressing up on the edges.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:24 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have been using small black plastic buckets over my dirt hole sets often this year. Picked up a couple of foxes and one yote, they smelled the bait and tipped over the bucket. Then they kicked the bucket. LOL

Pain in the neck rain. Less work for me to put buckets over traps (like this morning) and then deal with water logged dirt hole set. I don't have a lot set because only have time to check and maintain a short trap line.
bohunr likes this.

I will prepare and someday my chance will come. - Abraham Lincoln

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 01:23 PM
Part of the Community

This year has been an absolute Beast for trapping with the rain. Between working a full-time job, being a father to four children and trying to keep a decent line up and running is wearing me out!! I was happy we just actual had 3 days in a row with no rain or snow but that is about to change this evening!!

I use wax dirt on all my K9 sets this time of year so I will let them ride through the rain. If there's a puddle on next days check I will clean out and replace with new dirt if they look good I leave them alone.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 03:18 PM

I never cover them. Iím using waxed dirt, so theyíll not freeze. A deeper snow is a bigger concern for me....I break out the whisk broom, clean the set, and try to blend it all back together. I try to stay on the quad when Iím doing this, use a full size broom. Critters donít care about the quad tracks...theyíll often use them as runways.

The rain this season has been horrible. Last week week had 3 major rain events and another night of 25 mph winds. Iíve caught fur many times in a light rain, but not much when it rains 1/2Ē or more in a night.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 04:34 PM
The Man

I make my sets with grass or weeds to cover my sets, with wire screen pan cover. These sets will take rain and more rain. So I don't cover them up for rain.
I haven't made a set with dirt since around the 1st of November. That's about when I went to all screen cover and grass or duff nearby the set.
I do place something over the whole set when heavy rain is forecasted, if I have a long drive thru farmers fields. I don't want to make ruts on farm lane, so I wait for drier weather or frozen ground.
Juniata4ever likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I check my line with my little Ram 50. Most of my line is on tractor lanes or the edge of crop/hay fields with no lanes. I depend on firm ground to access those areas, frozen ground is the best.

When we get heavy rain and warm temps it becomes impossible for me run my line without doing serious damage to trails and fields. Rutting up tractor trails and field edges would get me kicked off most of the properties I have permission to trap on. So when I know heavy rain and warm temps are coming, I cover my traps. It's more efficient than snapping everything off and resetting.

I covered everything this morning.

Eh...wot?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 06:42 AM
New Arrival

Does the law require you to still check your traps every day? They may be covered but they are still set.

Impeach Cuomo!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:10 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If the trap is set to go off then I would say Yes, having caught foxes in past years and this year a yote after covering with a bucket. It also is good responsible trapping.

I will prepare and someday my chance will come. - Abraham Lincoln

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 05:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeryguy View Post
Does the law require you to still check your traps every day? They may be covered but they are still set.
Yes

Eh...wot?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page