Best Cable Restraints and additional equipment I might need.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Best Cable Restraints and additional equipment I might need....

Hi,

I was hoping to get some advice from those that are seasoned in using Cable Restraints. I plan to hopefully begin a small line of CR during January this year but first need to order the equipment and hopefully get a class taken.

I noted that different to previous years there seems to be an online course available now. Is this an acceptable course to meet PA requirements and if so has anyone taken it before (i.e. I imagine it being fairly intuitive and it would sure save me having to drive to take a class since I can never find anything remotely local)

https://www.hunter-ed.com/pennsylvania-cable-device/

I also had some additional questions about the hardware. What would be the recommended CR to purchase and what would be the necessary supporting hardware that is recommended (i.e. stakes, etc...). Hopefully not making it more complicated than it is but I just want to give it a try before winter is over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ron Marsh is a member here and makes and sell CR. I have bought from him and he's a great guy. Perfect CR's
Trapper Ron

(814) 677-2564
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 12:10 PM
Regular Visitor

Yes that is a acceptable course. When your done and pass online you can print out your certification to carry with you in the field. Then in a week or so you'll get your official certification card in mail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Bandit View Post
Hi,

I was hoping to get some advice from those that are seasoned in using Cable Restraints. I plan to hopefully begin a small line of CR during January this year but first need to order the equipment and hopefully get a class taken.

I noted that different to previous years there seems to be an online course available now. Is this an acceptable course to meet PA requirements and if so has anyone taken it before (i.e. I imagine it being fairly intuitive and it would sure save me having to drive to take a class since I can never find anything remotely local)

https://www.hunter-ed.com/pennsylvania-cable-device/

I also had some additional questions about the hardware. What would be the recommended CR to purchase and what would be the necessary supporting hardware that is recommended (i.e. stakes, etc...). Hopefully not making it more complicated than it is but I just want to give it a try before winter is over.

It is an acceptable course so you pass you'll be certified in time for the season.

This late in the game I doubt you'd find a class.

There is nothing like a hands on class.

Good luck.
MQ-1 likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If I'm not making my own, I'm buying from Newt Sterling at Snareone. He's got it perfected.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairchild #17 View Post
If I'm not making my own, I'm buying from Newt Sterling at Snareone. He's got it perfected.
Is there a certain size you buy? I know the guy I used to go with in Ohio bought 60" snares but was unsure if that is what most use or if that was just him. Also other than a set of stakes is there anything else that would be needed. Also sorry to sound so naive but I have read that CR are a one time use is that do to one of the mechanical components on the actual cable or what drives that as opposed to a standard snare (i.e. which have deer stops on them).

Jared
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 09:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I make mine from a cut 60" of cable. With an end loop and gooseneck bend at the lock they are closer to a 56" cable I suppose.
I don't add a wire swivel to the end. Just use a barrel swivel to the stake.
The cable itself is the reason they are single use. If a catch is made, the cable is usually kinked in multiple placed or chewed and frayed.
The locks that I use can be used over and over.

You need to come up with a support system to hold your cables rigid. There are many different systems to accomplish this.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:26 PM
The Man

Doug Chubb makes CR's and can answer all you questions. Pa. guy. Good to deal with. Fast service.
Here's a link to his web site and phone number.
Chubb's Trapping Supplies
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

Are you in PA? I see your profile says Ohio.
I have in stock PA CR's and equipment. I recommend cable stakes for anchoring. 11 gauge wire for supports.
An online class will get you PA legal, A classroom will give you on hand experience and a chance to talk to someone who has used them.
e- mail me at [email protected] and I can send you an invoice.

Home of the J Hook tool& Retrievable Cable Stake.
John 3:16, PTA Life 131N, NTA, OSTA, S.A. CSM
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperRon2 View Post
Are you in PA? I see your profile says Ohio.
I have in stock PA CR's and equipment. I recommend cable stakes for anchoring. 11 gauge wire for supports.
An online class will get you PA legal, A classroom will give you on hand experience and a chance to talk to someone who has used them.
e- mail me at [email protected] and I can send you an invoice.
Yeah I live in Pa along the border outside of chippewa. I used to live in Ohio.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page