Muskrat Field Study, happening now - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Muskrat Field Study, happening now

Does anyone know of a Muskrat field study happening now? Radioed live Muskrats?

Reason I ask... a friend called me last week. He's a Coke-a-Cola delivery driver.
At day break, He pulled into Giant grocery store lot (Lewisburg) and saw PGC guy with an antena thingy and he was wearing hip boots. Friend talked with guy but forgets his name.
Seems the guy is a PGC biologist. He had Muskrats with transmitters in the nearby crick & spill ponds of the parking lot. He was making his daily check.

Friend didn't get much info, but said the guy was studying Muskrat predation. He said most kills were from Mink at this time of study.
Friend didn't ask as many questions as most of us would have. But called me to ask if I knew about this study. I said, No I didnt' know this study was going on, and close to home.

Does anyone know of this Muskrat field study thats going on right now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i was asked about two years ago about anyplace I knew of that had a good rat population by my local officer . word was the biologists were looking at places to do a study in the pike , Monroe county area . im sure they were looking at other areas across the state too .
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 09:49 PM

If the PGC wants to do a field study in an area with a good muskrat population, they need to bring along their time machine so they can turn back the clock 35 years. Rats are far and few between in my neck of the woods today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Part of the Community

I've hunted and trapped in WMU 3D since I was a little guy. If you compare the population of rats from the mid 80's until now I would actually consider them a threatened species in WMU 3D. I caught one in a blind set for mink this past season and I actually felt bad for catching cause the rat population is so delicate in my area. I'm sure there are some spots that there are still some ok populations but not my trapping grounds anymore!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page