Mink in laurel and rhodedendron creeks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Mink in laurel and rhodedendron creeks

Hey guys where I'm located in the Northeast we have a lot of small streams that flow through thick Laurel and rhododendron woods. Anyone ever have any luck trapping mink on these? I know they have lots of little native brook trout, squirrels and rodents in and around them. But I've always associated mink with muskrat habitat marsh, field streams etc. A lot of the trails and logging roads I set on are running along these small streams and was just wondering if anybody else had any luck catching mink on them. i it was worth a shot setting for them on the Mountain Streams?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 12:33 PM

Iíve never set them, but Iíve seen mink tracks in the snow numerous times along creeks like you described. Any type of blind or bottom edge sets could be productive. Youíll have to set a lot of steel to get good results.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 07:35 AM
The Man

I would look at the big picture. Where the stream travels to & from. Is there food available. Typically these stream are Mink travel ways. Depends on food how much time they spend here or are Mink just passing thru. But I can say that about any small stream in southern Pa. or northern Pa is a Mink travel way.

I know they have lots of little native brook trout, squirrels and rodents in and around them.
During Mink season, many rodents are underground. You may have better success trapping lower on the mountain, where there is more food.

is it worth a shot setting for them on the Mountain Streams?
Hard to say from this desk chair. I know this is a fast pace world and we want quick answers and results. But trapping doesn't work that way in most cases. Some things are trail & error, even today.
My answer is Yes, give it a shot. See for yourself. If small mountain streams are what you got, play the cards dealt to you.

I would like to point out many northeastern USA mink trappers work on small mountain streams & have success. Learning about the Mink and having a stable population will aid in your success.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page